How does mash temp change flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinBierBitte

Reaction score
I decided to do a mini-mini mash with the steeping grains I got from my AHS kit and the temp during the mash was at about 165 for 5 or 6min. I was just curious how different temps affect the flavor of the final product? I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT RUINING THE BEER! Just thought I would throw that in.

The primary effect is due to the increased unfermentables as mash temperature increases. Higher temps = maltier beer.

wait wait wait. Was this a mini mash kit or did you just decide to 'mash' the grains that came with your extract kit?

I might be reading it wrong but it sounds like you did the latter, which wouldn't hurt anything but would do much either. A true mini mash requires that some of the extract be replaced with a base malt, which will yield sugar to the wort. Without the base malt it really is just steeping the grains, which you are supposed to do. Temps during steeping are less important than if you were (are) actually mashing.

Just curious which you did.

I think that AHS includes some basemalt in with the steeping grains, so you can definitely mini-mash that.

As was mentioned, a too-high temp won't cause any bad flavors (well, under 170 degrees or so) but might cause the wort to be less fermentable. If you're talking about a pound or two of grains, it probably won't even be noticeable.

Back