possible stuck fermentation I need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
To start here is the recipe for the irish stout I am making.

Steeping grains: steeped at 154F for 30 mins, sparged with .5 gal at 170F
.5 lbs UK pale malt
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs american victory
.25 lbs belgian special b
.25 lbs special roast
.25 lbs melanoidin
.25 lbs chocolate rye
.25 lbs munich

Extract:
4.6 lbs pale malt LME
2 lbs dark malt LME
1 lb amber DME

wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast: 1.5 quart starter

O.G. was 1.074

It was fermenting away for the last 3 days at 74F but last night the a cold front came in and the temperature dropped to 64F overnight. I noticed that there was no more activity coming though the blowout tube so I decided to take it off and put on an airlock. While I was at I also took a gravity reading. I also noticed the krauzen had already dropped out. Since putting the airlock in I have noticed no more activity
It's seems to me like it is probably done fermenting but the gravity reading I took today was only 1.028 (%61 attenuation) which is way higer than it should be if it is infact done. Is it possible that the drop in overnight temp shocked my yeast?
According to the recipe I have it should ferment out to 1.008-1.012
I swirled the fermentor a little and have just been letting it sit.
BTW I tasted the sample I took and its pretty good not overly sweet.

Anyway, what should I do?
Should I check the gravity in a few days and if it hasn't changed re-pitch more yeast or is it possible that the fermentation is already done and F.G. is still that high.
If it is actually done fermenting. Should I be cautious about how much priming sugar I add? I planned on using one of the 5oz bags that my LHBS house kits recommend. Should I use less than that?

Also, is it possible to revive shocked yeast or do they revive just by the wort warming back up a little?

3 days isn't long enough for fermentation. Leave in alone for a couple of weeks and check again. Whether you are getting bubbles in your airlock or not, the yeast are still working away happily. Try to maintain a constant temperature and good things will happen (i.e. beer will be made).

Bring the fermentation temperatures back up to whatver is ideal for your stain of yeast, then leave it a week. It's unlikely that one night of cold weather would be enough for a stuck fermentation. Just give it time, and see what happens. I'll bet fermentation isn't stuck, but rather just slow. Be patient, and you'll have a good beer in a few weeks. :mug:

I planned on leaving in primary 4 weeks before bottling anyway. Thanks for the advice. I guess I was just being paranoid.
I need to just relax and not worry so much. It seems like everytime I have a question I need to just RDWHAHB but a little reassurance from the people on HBT really makes me feel better!

A piece of advice: Whenever I get paranoid, I try to RDWH12HB and quickly forget whatever it was I was paranoid about -- Usually end up being more worried about whether or not I can crawl up the stairs to bed :)

Dark Love Stout from Brewers connection. I made this beer.. everyone loved this guy.. i left it for 3 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the bottles before i touched it.. still have about 12 bottles left! great beer some dark mocha tones going on with it:) I believe i fermented at 68-72 degrees it was very busy the 1st 5 days and then nothing.. just leave it alone for 2 1/2 more weeks.. best thing i can say to do.. Let me know how it goes:)

currently I have a Porter in the primary, this is my fourth batch of beer and I've mostly forgotten about it.. I'll check it after three weeks... All my other brews I've tried to rush, this one will be the first one that I've not racked to the secondary. I've finally begun to fully understand RDWHAHB, of course it helps that I have a supply in the pipeline :)

Dark Love Stout from Brewers connection. I made this beer.. everyone loved this guy.. i left it for 3 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the bottles before i touched it.. still have about 12 bottles left! great beer some dark mocha tones going on with it:) I believe i fermented at 68-72 degrees it was very busy the 1st 5 days and then nothing.. just leave it alone for 2 1/2 more weeks.. best thing i can say to do.. Let me know how it goes:)

I just brewed that one on Saturday. I can't wait to see how it comes out! It looks yummy!

Step away from the fermenter until it's done. 3 weeks in the primary at the proper temperature for the yeast is a good starting point before checking gravity and then keg or bottle if it's done.

Back