Good First Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fata2683

Reaction score
Hey guys I finally have all of my all grain equipment together and in a couple of weeks I plan to do my first brew. After reading a few books on all grain that recommend brewing a simple recipe several times, consistently and then changing one thing about the recipe to fully understand how each ingredient changes the outcome I have come up with this recipe(I'm trying to keep it simple.) Any input/ideas/criticisms? My yeast is a dry yeast since I'm in Germany and have not found a supply shop anywhere near my so I'm mail ordering everything from the states. Thanks for your help!!!
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.8 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.2 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 31.8 IBU
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30%] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

It looks like a fairly decent recipe. But, you don't have any bittering hops. With that cara-pils, and no bittering hops it's going to taste like a very sweet beer. Take an oz of the Cascades and make it a 60 minute boil, and use the other oz as is.

Seems ironic that you can't get the ingredients directly in Germany. I always imagined beery supply shops there would be like 7-11's are in the states.

I have only done 1 AG batch but I used a recipe that I found on this board that was pretty simple. I wanted to brew something that was proven to be good so I would know right away if I made any mistakes and not just chose a poor recipe. Not that your recipe will be bad but I took the safe route I guess.

Looks like a yummy brew...however, I'd change the hop additions a bit:

1oz Cascade (60m)
1oz Cascade (15m)
1oz Liberty (5m)

At the advice of others here on the board, I've ditched the 30 minute hop addition and moved it to 15 minutes. I increase the bittering hops to make up for the lost IBUs, but get a more flavorful and aromatic brew.

I like the idea of starting with a simple grain bill to figure out what you like by making it clean.

I wish I started out simple. I would be much closer to finishing my house beer recipe.

Back