Cleaning CO2 Line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but do folks normally clean and/or sanitize their CO2 lines, at least before using them the first time, or is this just overkill?
Thanks,

Chris

I have never cleaned my gas lines; mainly because I don't want to risk any liquid entering my steel tank. I would say that it is overkill, unless your new gas lines were covered in dust or something.

I would soak it overnight with some...................................

OXYCLEAN!

n621446071_1135315_5373.jpg

I didn't clean mine, +1 with the getting water in the steal tank... Maybe if you did it weeks before you needed it but I assume letting it air dry would just let dust etc get back in it...

You can clean and sanitize youor gas lines for a first time application, then slowly purge the lines with either co2 or nitrogen to dry them. I typically sanitze the connections with a sanitizing solution whenever I change out my tanks to ensure no bad yucky stuff is introduced into the tank.

Once in operation and as long as you maintain pressure on the lines, no contamination should occur. This is not to say that it will not, only that it should not.

Salute! :mug:

Hey all. I've had issues in the past with infection in my brews and I did have infected beer get up into one of the gas lines at one pint (right through the manifold and into the other keg...) but didn't get to the regulator. I replaced the lines but I've since also had a (maybe?) infected batch on Co2, but not into the lines.

#1 is it OK to run sanitizer through a regulator? I'd then run filtered air or Co2 through it to dry it out.

#2 Has anyone found a good resource for the Bev-Seal tubing in the U.S.?

As I read this I think I forgot to sanitize my beer line before connecting it to the keg last night. Should I be worried?

Were you connecting new beer lines or just switching kegs? If you were just switching kegs, and didn't have it disconnected for a long time, RDWHAHB!

Back