Grumble, gripe and groan, damn yeasties not cooperating.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
So I had this irish red set up that I made with some dry yeast of questionable age but I figured I'd send it in, since it seemed as pretty active when I set it up with some thing to eat a few hours before brew time.

And in the primary it seems to cook along fine, putting it's 'pretty lace' on in the form of a healthy krausen the never next day and settles into a nice pattern for the next few, slowing about day 5 enough that I think it's time to pull it off to secondary.

The yeast union apparently didn't like the smaller quarters because they immediately decided to go on strike. Ungrateful bastards.

So I had to haul my lazy butt down to the HBS to pick up more yeast. Decided to stick with the ever reliable smack pac this time.

I know repitching the yeast is part of life in brewing but it's just a pita soemtimes.

I'd recommend keeping some dried yeast around for emergency re-pitching. The initial ferment and original yeast would be done and the characteristics you are looking for already in the ale. The long shelf life eliminates extra trips.

yeah-- that's what that dry yeast was doing in my brew kit int eh first place. Since it was getting older I thoguht I'd use it before it croaked. I've got another packet ofdry yeast but that's even older. I got it from my old man and he had no idea how old it was-- the packet jsut says 'brewers yeast'.

Yeah-- I'm picking up another bit of dry yeast for that purpose.

I still think the yeast does this on purpose.

: )

Back