Sankes for HLT and MLT question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Ran across two kegs and was wondering if they would be a good choice for an HLT and MLT... They are 1/2 barrels, but they are the kind with the bulge in the middle, not the straight sided kind...

Any thoughts?

TIA

:mug:

they would make a great hlt but your mlt is better for a cooler. IM just reading up and trying to get everything together so i have no first hand experience but this is the way im doing mine and it seems the way most do

I prefer the MLT to be a cooler. It's just easier, unless you want to do a lot of step mashes which I don't see as necessary with most modified malts.

I was thinking of a three tier brew sculpture, with three burners... One keg is kinda beat up looking, but the other is purdy... Just have to see when I start gathering some steel for the frame...

search for a three tier setup and you'll find that there are literally hundreds of people with the same setup. beat up or not it'll work. IMHO get someone to stainless weld a ball joint onto those beasts. Go to the local machine shop to do that. if they dont know how they'll know someone that can. do it. :mug:

oh yeah... i have searched them before and i have a few ideas... was more curious about the keg shapes more than anything... wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the bowed out kegs as a mash or boil kettle...

Back