mash out vs sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
ok...i feel a little dumb, but i thought they were the same? i've just switched to All-grain, i now have 3 batches of all grain done, but i'm still stuck on the mash out vs sparge.

thanks in advance

Mash out, is raising the temp of the mash to the point where no more sugars will be extracted.

Sparging, After the mash, where basically flushing the grain bed with hot water to extract all the sugars that were released durring the mash

oh crap..ok, so when it calls for me to mash at say 150 F, for 60 minutes, then mash out at say 170 for 10...i'm not draining the wort from the first mash? once i get the mash up to 170, then i drian, THEN i sparge? i was thinking you had to drain 3 different times...i think i've messed a few things up, haha, oh well, live and learn...thanks!

oh crap..ok, so when it calls for me to mash at say 150 F, for 60 minutes, then mash out at say 170 for 10...i'm not draining the wort from the first mash?

Right.

...once i get the mash up to 170, then i drian, THEN i sparge? i was thinking you had to drain 3 different times...

Depends on your method of sparging. Batch sparge you mashout (if you want) then drain, then sparge (and repeat as desired). With fly sparging you mashout (if you want) then drain AS you sparge without ever draining the mashtun "dry".

Back