Kegging vs bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbellybrewery

Reaction score
I have kegged 2 batches after bottling dozens of PM and AG. My 1st keg has aged several weeks (American light) and 2nd a week behind (basic house ale). I don't know if I have a bottling bias but it doesn't have the same head, flavor or look as bottled beer.

Does kegging's easier methods of packaging at at the expense of the above?

I've never noticed any of the effects you describe. In fact, a properly stored and poured draught is far superior to a bottled brew. How are you kegging?

I am using pin lock corney's with a "t" spliting co2. I didn't try to force carb. I used chart for temperature and pressure. Temp is aprox. 48 with 10psi. Beers have been in keg over 2 weeks. The Amercan light has a better head than ale. I am using single regulator. I would describe as a simple corney setup.

Maybe it is just a brewing issue. I am considering naturally kegging a Honey Wheat Ale and see what happens. I am eventually going to buy 10 gallon cooler for bigger batches. Ultimate test will be to keg 1/2 and bottle other 1/2. Not exactly a double blind study but what the heck.

48 degrees seems a bit high for 10PSI in two weeks.

My rule of thumb is one of two methods:

1) 35 degrees. 30PSI for 36 hours. Reduce CO2 to serving PSI of around 8-10.
2) 35 degrees. 10 PSI for 10 days.

I'd guess you need to lower the temp, or if you insists on it being that warm, crank that CO2 up to about 15 for a few days.

As far as quality of poor, head, mouthfeel? There is no comparison in my book. The draught beer is much richer, smoother, creamier.

Sample1.jpg

Belgian_Wit_2.JPG

Latest posts

Back