Should I add Instant Oatmeal to this Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronxitawney

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at a wit, but I am not sure about adding instant oatmeal.

Steeped 60 min @ 154
2# Torrified Wheat
4 oz CaraPils
(1 or 2 pcks of Instant Oatmeal)

Boil:
5# Extra Light DME
.75 oz Amarillo hops 8.9% aau (30 min)
1 oz Coriander (10min)
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel (10 min)

Using WLP400 yeast

As this is my first attempt, I am not sure what the oatmeal will do for the beer. I know that my wife loves Blue Moon, and there are oats in that. Any suggestions?

1 lb of oats should be fine. The recipe I use calls for them.

Also, I would consider adding some flaked wheat and cutting the coriander and orange peel in half. Just my $0.02.

If I only use .5 oz of each, will the orange flavor still stand out? SWMBO also likes Leinie Sunset Wheat because of it's heavier orange flavor.(I personally think it tastes artificial like Trix cereal) This is my last-ditch effort to get her to like my hobby enough to stop giving me crap:D

If I only use .5 oz of each, will the orange flavor still stand out? SWMBO also likes Leinie Sunset Wheat because of it's heavier orange flavor.(I personally think it tastes artificial like Trix cereal) This is my last-ditch effort to get her to like my hobby enough to stop giving me crap:D

So everyone has this problem huh?

I wonder if Jim Koch got crap from his SWMBO too....

Just get a small bottle of Orange extract...a drop or two in her glass should give a decent Orange punch :D.

OP, the unconverted Oats is probably a good idea to give some haze. Remember though, drink it up young. Ohh hey post 3333

:off: To me the Sunset Wheat tastes like Fruity Pebbles. I can't pick out any specific fruit flavor other than some artificial blueberry. If your SWMBO detects orange in there, I'd stick to 1oz. It won't be balanced, but it'll be more like Sunset Wheat...

You can go with the full oz. but it'll be heavily spiced. If it's too bold to start off, I think it'll subside a little over time. FWIW, the blue moon clone I brew has the following spice additions, and it's zesty, but not over done. I wouldn't want much more than that myself.

0.18 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.35 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

I think I probably will back them off to .5 oz. If it turns out well, then I will have .5 oz each leftover to make another batch

As this is my first attempt, I am not sure what the oatmeal will do for the beer.

In your current recipe, it won't do anything.

You have zero enzymes in your recipe so there will be no starch conversion. Your oats will just sit there and be oats. Wheat and oats have no diastatic power, and carapils is a caramel malt so it has none either. You're going to have to add about an equal amount of pale or pils malt in order to get the starch conversion started.

I apologize up front for the following rant:
There are tons of extract+specialty grain clones for Blue Moon and other good/better wits out there, and books are full of Belgian Wit recipes. The internet, and sites like this, are awesome for quick information, but from your post it seems like you could benefit from hitting the books for recipe formulation. The good homebrewers I know have gotten to where they are by reading the hell out of books like The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, Designing Great Beers, How to Brew (available online), etc. Get the fundamentals down, start by copying some existing recipes, and you'll be an ace at formulated a wit recipe.

Back