Any sausage makers here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I dried them first, then smoked them, the bite/snap was really good on both. This is the first time I've smoked sausages and it improved the snap considerably (at least with the hog casings, which is what I always use). The collagen casings were pretty much the perfect snap though. I might continue using them.

Collagen doesn't stretch, so you end up with unusually uniform links, which I think looks a little odd. The collagen was also VERY easy to stuff. It probably lends itself best to emulsified meats that are creamy and uniform, as these were.

Well, I have not stuffed anything yet. I have been making my own chorizo for a long time because the stuff available around here is just gross, and I have several recipes that call for it. I have been using the food processor to chop up the pork for that, but I now have the grinder and stuffer attachments for the Kitchen Aid, and have been looking for casings. Have not used it yet, but have been reading up on it.

I buy a sausage by a company called Conecah, that I can only get when we go to Mississippi, that I really love, specifically for gumbo and red beans, but also just fried up for breakfast or grilled with dinner. But it's skinney, like 5/8" (16 mm) or maybe just a little bit larger. Which is part of why I like it so much. From what I have read I would need sheep casings to get close, or possibly collagen is available around that size.

If I can figure out what casings to use I can start trying to clone their recipe!

For you guys that use the Kitchen Aid stand mixer grinder attachment, are you happy with it? We just bought a stand mixer and I've been wanting to get into making sausages, but a lot of reviews are mentioning these attachments crack easily.

For you guys that use the Kitchen Aid stand mixer grinder attachment, are you happy with it? We just bought a stand mixer and I've been wanting to get into making sausages, but a lot of reviews are mentioning these attachments crack easily.

It's a small volume toy. Google DIY meat grinder and build your own!

AlexGrinding.jpg

If I had the room I would. I simply do not have the space for anymore cooking items. A massive dehydrator, a big meat slicer are already proving to be a horrible idea on my part for storage.

If I had the room I would. I simply do not have the space for anymore cooking items. A massive dehydrator, a big meat slicer are already proving to be a horrible idea on my part for storage.

If you have the Kitchenaid mixer already, the meat grinder works fine. It's not commercial size or quality, but for a home it works. I have used one extensively without any issue. I feed frozen chunks of fat and meat into it.

I would NOT recommend using it to also stuff the sausages. It might work, but looks like a major PITA.

If you have the Kitchenaid mixer already, the meat grinder works fine. It's not commercial size or quality, but for a home it works. I have used one extensively without any issue. I feed frozen chunks of fat and meat into it.

I would NOT recommend using it to also stuff the sausages. It might work, but looks like a major PITA.

^^Perfect recommendation there. I resemble those remarks :D

For first grind (meat chunks), the kitchenaid mixer works fine. Trying to stuff in sticky ground meat is where it utterly fails (i.e. follow-up grinds or stuffing), not to mention it's absolutely terrible for stuffing. I did it once - ONCE - and then I bought a sausage stuffer from LEM.

Thanks guys, I was wanting to get one for grinding beef for burgers and sausage. This could be fun.

I use the KA grinder attachment and am very happy with it. The motor does tend to run hot, just have to go at a smooth pace and not bog it down. I always par-freeze the meet and cut in strips not chunks. Grind quality is good and no cracking issues. I use a LEM piston stuffer. No experience with the KA one but it doesn't seem like it would work well to me.

The KitchenAid grinders are ok, but for the best improvement in home sausage making, a stand alone stuffer really makes the difference. Even a 5 lb stuffer from Northern Tool for under 100 will make a HUGE difference in the quality and time spent making sausage. Running sausage back through a grinder to stuff, beats the meat (yea, yea, yea, I know) to the detriment of the sausage.

Seriously get a proper stuffer!

Chef Jay

Roger that!

Finally got around to making some sausage this past weekend. After my first batch was a epic failure due to trimming off a lot of fat from the pork butt i was a bit worried about wasting more meat. My last attempt was like 25-30 lbs of dry mush that was good for little more than dog treats.

This time I tried my hand at Texas Style or at least what I think is Texas Style.

7.5 lbs of chuck
3.5 lbs of pork butt
1.5 lbs of brisket scrap/fat

10 teaspoons Kosher salt
6 teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoon red pepper flake

I just kinda eyeballed the following
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
dry mustard

Cut it all into cubes and added the seasoning and got it really cooled in the freezer for 30-40 minutes. I just pulled it out of the freezer 2-3 lbs at a time basically enough to do one wheel of sausage at a time. I added a little water and stuffed the casings. Let them site over night.
Smoked them the next day 225-250 for about an hour and a half.
My father in law loves brisket and always asks for it so it was a given for fathers day. But the sausages were a huge hit more so than the brisket. Everyone loved them and had my FIL asking for me to make more for the 4th of July. :mug:

I actually think I could use just a little more fat next time. But I cant complain It was damn tasty and pretty moist and juicy.And still juicy as leftovers yesterday

Back