Corn Syrup vs Corn Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think someone touched on this in another thread, but never got a full answer. What is the difference between corn sugar and corn syrup? Can I use corn syrup instead?

Corn syrup is basically just corn sugar dissolved in water. Some brands have vanilla added, so avoid those unless you want some vanilla flavor. You'll have to use slightly more corn syrup than corn sugar (by weight) since it has water content. I'm not really sure how much more to use, though.

Corn syrup may have other ingredients (like vanilla) in it and may also be a mix of glucose and fructose. Chemically, corn sugar (dextrose) is just pure glucose.

Yuri_Rage said:
You'll have to use slightly more corn syrup than corn sugar (by weight) since it has water content. I'm not really sure how much more to use, though.
Does anyone have a package of corn sugar handy? How many grams of sugar does it have per serving, and how big are the servings? I can figure how mush syrup to use by comparing these.

Not sure how to get around that whole glucose/fructose thing though.

Back