Black IPA- First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmbeer

Reaction score
How does this look to everyone?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Black IPA
Style: Black IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.59 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 35.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
25.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 86.2 %
1.50 lb Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 80L (Cargill) (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
0.50 lb Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.7 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min) (FiHops 42.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (10 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00%] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2 Pkgs SafAle S-05 (SafAle) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 29.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 36.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 20.30 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

I would do c40 or c60. I try to make mine like I would a regular IPA. Ive never used midnight wheat so I cant comment on the flavors but consider mashing that in the last 10 minutes or a cold steep.

Didn't see it mentioned. are you going to steep you black malts after the boil? If not that what i would change

IPA's were originally brewed back in the 18th and 19th century to be as pale as possible. They used 100% pale malt, kilned at the lowest possible temperature, and did a long, less vigorous boil, all in the name of getting the beer as pale and light as possible.

So you can argue that a modern IPA isn't an IPA at all if brewed with anything but 100% pale malt.

I've got a mine in the secondary right now with 2 oz of cascade for a 5 gallon batch.

This looks very good. I have the same ratio of chocolate to 2 row that you have.

Yeah I agree with more bittering hops. I usually have about double the ibu's. a little more early additions and a lot more late additions.

Yes, more bittering hops. I brewed a BIPA some months back and mashed the Choc. malt for the whole 60min. Big mistake! You could taste the bitter astringency.

Either add it to the top of the grain bed towards the end of Sparge, or steep after the boil as the previous person posted. Probably best to just not use it.

Midnight Wheat is a nice product that I have used before. Briess claims it "is the smoothest source of black color of any malt available".

How dark is a bipa expected to be? I've never brewed one, but I am certainly interested. This sounds like a good recipe.

Question: how malty will this end up? I want my next IPA to be less malty and very hop forward. I just don't want to end up thin and watery. Could I just decrease mash temp to 150 or will it be screwed up? I'm ok with being a little off-balance, but I don't want it to be absurd. Something hophead friends will enjoy without looking at me funny....

And sorry to hijack the thread.

FWIW, here's what I went with:

12 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Munich 20
12 oz dehusked carafa III
12 oz midnight wheat
8 oz carapils

mash @ 152

1 oz chinook FWH
1 oz colombus 60 min
1 oz simcoe 15 min
2 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz centennial 5 min
2 oz centennial 0 min (1 hour hop steep)
dry hop: 2 oz each simcoe, amarillo, 1 oz cascade

OG was about 1.084
FG about 1.018
calculated IBU's about 83, but the hop steep probably added another 10-15 IBU's.

Pitched onto some washed Denny's 1450 for the yeast.

This beer turned out great, it was very hop forward with some remaining maltyness (but no sweetness). I won't change a thing next time I brew this one.

How did you incorporate the Carafa and Midnight? I just bottled a similar recipe where I mashed the roasted grains for the whole 60 minutes and I think it turned out too roasty. My percentage for the roasted was about 12% and yours is 10%, so maybe that makes a difference as well. I designed another that I will do next weekend with the roasted at about 7%.

I mashed them the entire time. Maybe just a hint of roast, but not much. I thought I had some crystal in there but maybe not.

Back