No Enhancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troytrojans211

Reaction score
I'm brewing and kegging my first batch of home brew. I have Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, but I did not get the enhancer. I see that I can substitude granulated sugar, but how does that taste if I do that? Will it ruin it? I also have some old booster from some Mr Beer kits I was given years ago...could i use that in place of the enhancer 2 they recommend?

I don't know what the enhancer is. If this is used during the boil I would assume it helps dry out the finished product. I have added table sugar to certain recipes and it ferments out leaving no taste/residual sweetness. What does the kit say the enhancer is?

enhancer 1 is 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin
enhancer 2 is 50% dextrose, 25% DME, 25%matodextrin

You could use either sugar or the Mr. Beer packets. They'll both technically work, but they won't give you spectacular beer. That being said the Enhancer 2 probably wasn't going to give you a great beer to begin with. If you can get your hands on any malt extract it would work better, but straight sugar will definitely ferment. It may end up being a little dry with just sugar though.

I think sugar results in dryer beer with a watery mouth feel. Even the beginners kits with their shoddy instructions advise against it.
If you can get your hands on some malt extract, enhancer or at least some brewing sugar it'd probably result in a nicer drink.
If its in date i'd use the Mr beer stuff and top it off with sugar to reach correct gravity.

Latest posts

Back