What do you guys think of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
OK its a
Little crazy but maybe good.

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice
3 Sticks of cinnamon
1 tbs of pumpkin spice

Wyeast 3068 Whenstephan Weizen yeast?
68 degrees

What you think?
Verm

Have you looked at how that will work out with the attenuation of that yeast. It might come out a little sweet.

I very much dislike any thing fermented with honey, but other than that it looks good.

Beerrific said:
Have you looked at how that will work out with the attenuation of that yeast. It might come out a little sweet.

I very much dislike any thing fermented with honey, but other than that it looks good.

It should work out(attenuation)...I have only brewed with honey once. It did give the beer a long set time before it was good(1 year). Do you have any suggestion for a substitute?
Verm

If you're looking for a honey taste in beer, honey malt is a good substitute. It's an adjunct

Honey malt doesn't really taste like honey. It does impart an intense sweetess to the beer, kinda like a very intense munich flavor. I use it a lot. And I don't like honey beers.

Honey malt has to be mashed. It doesn't have much diastatic power so it needs another malt to convert it. You don;t need much so don't go overboard.

Since this isn't a beer, the honey will be great. Honey fermented with apple juice is actually classed as a cyser, a kind of apple mead, or cider mead hybrid. This should be quite mild, since you only have 1.5 lbs of honey for 5 gallons of juice. You could easily increase the honey to 5 lbs (1lb per gallon) and it still won't be overly sweet. With the spices, it should even have a bit of apple pie kinda flavor. Keep us informed!

NurseNan said:
Since this isn't a beer, the honey will be great. Honey fermented with apple juice is actually classed as a cyser, a kind of apple mead, or cider mead hybrid. This should be quite mild, since you only have 1.5 lbs of honey for 5 gallons of juice. You could easily increase the honey to 5 lbs (1lb per gallon) and it still won't be overly sweet. With the spices, it should even have a bit of apple pie kinda flavor. Keep us informed!

Thanks for the tips!

I will be the following today...

5 Gallons
3 lbs of honey
1tbs Pumpkins spice
Wyest 3068 Whenstephan Weizen yeast

Would you boil the honey first????

Agreed, for me the best part about honey in cyser is in the aroma: make sure to add after flameout!

You don't need to boil fruit juice to make cider, that will merely set the pectins, leaving your brew cloudy. If you are worried about nasties in your juice, you can add cambden tabs, wait 24 hours, then pitch your yeast. You can just proceed au naturel, since the best ciders are wild fermented from the yeast on the skins. Mix everything together in the carboy with one gallon of honey, then shake like crazy. If the honey is too thick, warm it gently in the microwave, or set the container in a sink of very hot water for a while first. After thorough mixing/shaking, add the rest of the juice and yeast, then let it be. Primary fermentation should take almost a month, since honey ferments slowly. Leave in secondary for a few more months. It should be great by Xmas.

VermVerm said:
OK its a
Little crazy but maybe good.

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice
3 Sticks of cinnamon
1 tbs of pumpkin spice

Wyeast 3068 Whenstephan Weizen yeast?
68 degrees

What you think?
Verm

******UPDATE******
I made this June 2007. Tastes like a White Zen to me. A somewhat dry spicy taste. I have tricked friends into believing it is a wine. Do I love it? In short bursts. It did take until now to be aged. Very much like a soft blush in taste and gravity. I think the spices are imitating the tannins in wine. I will make it again because its so darned easy.
Reasons to make this
13% ABV
Appeases the wife.
Great as a spritzer. 1/2 Sprite 1/2 recipe
Want something like a wine but don't like growing grapes.
Easy to make.

Reasons to not make it
Not a beer
Not too challenging
Not a beer
Chics will dig it and drink it.

Any Questions?

ive got a similar batch i started last night, first time cider, only difference is i didnt use pumpkin spice and i added 3 cups brown sugar. the yeast i used was lalvin 1116 dry wine yeast.

what was the breakdown on your fermentation to bottling to drinking schedule???

mr_stimey said:
ive got a similar batch i started last night, first time cider, only difference is i didnt use pumpkin spice and i added 3 cups brown sugar. the yeast i used was lalvin 1116 dry wine yeast.

what was the breakdown on your fermentation to bottling to drinking schedule???
14 days in the 1st
14 in the 2nd.-not really necessary, just habit.
Kegged July 21st.
Drinkable at 3 weeks
Properly aged this month.

Never tried the wine yeast. I bet that will be 17%ABV and dry as a desert.
Cheers
Verm

Back