Cream Stout Recipe...suggestions for adding chocolate/coffee flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
I'm about to brew up a Cream Stout and am thinking about adding some chocolate and/or coffee flavor to it. Given the recipe, does anybody have any suggestions for dressing it up a bit? Thanks!

6 lbs dark LME
8oz lactose
8oz black malt
8oz caramel 80L
1oz German Northern Brewer bittering hops
Wyeast London Ale #1028

Thanks Pappers....So just steep the roasted barley with the other grains? I also see you use chocolate malt in your recipe...would this be another possibility? I'm also wondering if anyone has experimented with adding cocoa powder to the boil...I've read about people doing this in a few places but warn that it can cause bitterness.

I add 8oz cocoa to the boil @5 min for my chocolate stout.

The grain bill is something like:
9lb Maris otter
1lb flaked barley
1lb c-120
1lb chocolate malt
8oz roasted barley

About 20ibus of willamette @60

So with these suggestions and other reading I'm considering leaving the malt bill as is and adding 8oz cocoa at 5min and some drip-brewed coffee to the fermentor. From what I've heard this recipe makes a nice basic cream stout and I'm just looking to dress it up a little bit. Does this sound reasonable or am I going to screw it up? I'm new to all of this so any help is much appreciated.

Back