Best CraftBrew close to the National Mall (DC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasonCreek

Reaction score
Planning a visit with the family this weekend to Washington DC. Where is a good brewpub or place to go for a craftbrew that is close to the national mall? I have tried to Google some help, but came up empty. Looking for any help, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Just seemed like the best location for it.)

I was just there in the middle of May and did a lot of research into where to find good beer. Here's what I found.

Close to the Metro stations:
The Big Hunt - Really close to the Dupont Circle Metro station (across the street). Has a good draft selection, almost zero bottles. Kind of a dive bar.

Pizzeria Paradiso - About a 2-3 minute walk from Dupont Circle Metro station. Good pizza and a nice selection of draft and bottled beer. Pretty good Belgian selection.

Bier Baron - A little farther from Dupont Circle. Maybe 10-15 minute walk. Huge bottle selection (Only place I found Great Divide beers). 15 or so draft selections. I went twice and had a great bartender the first time and a sub-par one the second.

Connecticut Avenue Liquor - Awesome Liquor/Beer store about 3 minutes from Dupont Circle. Big selection of bottles. DFH, Surly, Ballast Point and many others. Good Belgian selection as well. Really nice people too. Went there twice and he remembered me and was quite knowledgable.

Farther from Metro Stations:
These ones are probably 15-30 minute walks from the closest Metro.

The Black Squirrel - This place was awesome! 2 or 3 levels. 15-20 taps on each level plus a few bottles. I had Widmer, Brewdog, Ithaca and Southern Tier here. Nice and helpful bartenders as well.

Churckey - If you've looked for beer in DC I'm sure you've found this place. It's pretty sweet. Around 30 beers on tap and like 500 in bottles. Great selection. To be honest, the atmosphere is a little pretentious (as are the bartenders), but it's not that big a deal. They have 4 oz (ish) pours of all draft beers too which is awesome! That way you can try a lot more of the draft selections without getting demolished.

One other suggestion for bottles to buy would be Whole Foods. I found Allagash Confluence (SOOOOOO awesome) and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe there (among other tasty choices).

Hope this helps. There is a lot of great beer in DC. Enjoy!!

The District Chophouse and Brewery is on 7th St. NW between E & F streets, just south of the Verizon Center. There is a metro station inside the Verizon Center.

The District has some really good beers, including a bourbon-barrel aged stout that will really make an impact. Good or bad is for you to decide (I liked it a lot, my wife nearly spit it out). Food's really good too.

Back