Skeeter pee question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am gettin ready to rack some welches grape wine into secondary, I am gonna make skeeter pee using the slurry from this batch...I want to make 10 gallons so I can add blueberry to half. Will splitting the slurry in half be enough to get a 5 gallon batch rolling?

How big was the Welches batch? Even if it's 5 gals I imagine it would be just fine. I used lees from the 2nd-ary racking of my wine to do the Skeeter pee (it was only 3 gal). And I didn't need all of it for my first 5 gal Pee batch. I used about a pint jar worth of slurry and it worked fine.

I used the slurry from a 1 gallon batch of mango wine to ferment a 6 gallon Skeeter Pee batch. It fermented out faster than expected. :)

I think you'll be OK. I've split slurry before with good results. What I did find is that when I dumped the slurry into the two identical batches, more active yeast must have gone into one of the buckets because it was much more active. Since they were identical in these early stages, I took a sanitized measuring cup and transferred some of the must back and forth between the two to get the yeast more equally balanced between the two buckets.

Did the split this evening. Racked a half gallon of each batch onto the slurry from the grape juice wine...shook the heck out of it and poured half into each batch of skeeter pee... I did go back and forth hoping to avoid one batch getting " better" yeast than the other.

Back