Fixable or ditchable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomerwt

Reaction score
Hi!

We aren't getting any reactions at the fermentingforum, so we´ll have a go here! Long story short, we made a wort for organic nettlebeer (OG1.043), and added a yeast starter. This 'superyeast' had instructions for a yeast starter containing yeast, yeast salt, citric acid and orange juice. It's now about 60 hours ago that we've pitched it and there are still no visible or measurable signs of fermentation.

We're guessing the problem is that we've pitched our yeast at a too low temperature, we aren't sure but we think it was well below 18C. Now we are wondering how to get our yeast back to life.

-Should we give up and ditch it?
-Should we get the temp of the wort up higher to wake up the yeast?
-Should we add new yeast? If so, should we use this yeast starter again, or just a starter of yeast and water, or no starter?
-Should we do something completely different?
-Couldn't the too cold pitching be the problem, but is it something else?

Thanks in advance!

18ºC isn't that cold, but it depends on your yeast... Maybe raise it to 20º and see what happens. Yeast being too cold really isn't a problem normally simple warm them up and they will go to work.

It seems you made what we yanks call pruno (prison wine) for your starter. I have never heard of anything like that before. Who told you about that one? Also, what yeast did you use? Do you have a link to its specifications? That might help us help you.

What have you done to monitor the fermentation? Have you taken a gravity reading with a hydrometer or other device? Sometimes, a fermenter may not be sealed fully, and the airlock will not bubble. That doesn't mean the beer isn't fermenting.

We really need to know what type of yeast you are using. It sounds like a dry strain and the pruno starter was just a proof of viability. Even if the yeast s dead, you are still int he window where you could pitch a different yeast into the wort, and you would likely be fine. I would suggest a non-"super" variety like Nottingham or another reliable strain.

Cheers

18ºC isn't that cold, but it depends on your yeast... Maybe raise it to 20º and see what happens. Yeast being too cold really isn't a problem normally simple warm them up and they will go to work.

It seems you made what we yanks call pruno (prison wine) for your starter. I have never heard of anything like that before. Who told you about that one? Also, what yeast did you use? Do you have a link to its specifications? That might help us help you.

What have you done to monitor the fermentation? Have you taken a gravity reading with a hydrometer or other device? Sometimes, a fermenter may not be sealed fully, and the airlock will not bubble. That doesn't mean the beer isn't fermenting.

We really need to know what type of yeast you are using. It sounds like a dry strain and the pruno starter was just a proof of viability. Even if the yeast s dead, you are still int he window where you could pitch a different yeast into the wort, and you would likely be fine. I would suggest a non-"super" variety like Nottingham or another reliable strain.

Cheers

-The yeast is simply called superyeast and has the logo of my LHBS on it. My dad uses it for wine and reccomended it for the nettlebeer. The pruno discription was on the pot of the yeast. No link I'm afraid.
-I used a hydrometer and the gravity was still 1.043.

Could this help you help me?

I think I would go to the LHBS if it is close, and get a regular ale (beer) yeast. They will likely have some dry yeast packets. So long as they are fresh, I would pitch an 11g dry yeast packet directly into the wort, and let it go. Generally speaking, dry yeast directly pitched will start fermenting in about 12-16 hours.

I would also try warming it up to 20º if that is an option.

Good luck.

After adding some yeast and letting the fermenter sit in warm water for a few minutes it started up, and now (15 hours later) It's bubbling away like crazy! Thanks! You saved our brew :)

Have you tasted the sample ? I would before repitching next time, just to make sure I was repitching in something that had not already been turned to vinegar or had subtle notes of used diapers.

Good work Tomerwt! I am sure it will be fine.

jfr1111 - meh 60 hours or even 72 hours isn't the end of the world. Assuming it is sealed up and you used good sanitary practices, while some wild stuff may start taking hold around then, I wouldn't be worried. And once his new yeast took off it will over power anything small that is in there.

By the way, I spent a couple years in the Netherlands when I was young (2-5) and I was always getting stung in patches of nettle. Lots of vinegar used on this kid to dissolve stinging pins...

Good work Tomerwt! I am sure it will be fine.

jfr1111 - meh 60 hours or even 72 hours isn't the end of the world. Assuming it is sealed up and you used good sanitary practices, while some wild stuff may start taking hold around then, I wouldn't be worried. And once his new yeast took off it will over power anything small that is in there.

By the way, I spent a couple years in the Netherlands when I was young (2-5) and I was always getting stung in patches of nettle. Lots of vinegar used on this kid to dissolve stinging pins...

Yeah, but we're talking about adding what is essentially pruno to the wort :) I just try to make a habit of tasting everytime I draw a sample.

Haha yes there are lot's of nettles here, so its easy and almost free (except for the lemons, ginger and yeast) to make nettle beer and we only have to walk a few steps to find some!
jfr1111- Thanks for the tip, but we did already taste it, and it tasted just fine! :)

Back