Leveling Keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
The beat up sanke I'm using for a HLT is VERY un-level.

Looks like it has been dropped off too many trucks, the bottom support is badly dished in on one side.

This creates issues with using a site glass. If I level the HLT to calibrate the site glass, then it leans when I use it, I wonder how far off the glass will be?

What would be the best way to level it? Try to put some sheet metal screws in part way, or just make a wooden piece for the bent side?

:confused:

I would drill the skirt rim and install some inverted SS bolts to function as leveling feet. These would be fully adjustable and you could lock them using double nuts. I would use at least several of these for increased security. I often brew in my garage which has a sloping floor. I take measures to level my MT thinking that the sparge water will flow more uniformly through the grain bed if it's properly leveled. Unless your HLT is way out of level, the volume measurement error should be fairly minor and you could probably rotate the vessel so that the sight tube is positioned half way between the low side and the high side. This may not suit your style, but you could check the error this way and factor that in when it's positioned normally if you didn't want to install the leveling feet. You could also shim up the bent skirt with something heat resistant. Maybe some large steel washers. Those are very cheap.

Back