Backsweeten Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bush_84

Reaction score
So I have a strawberry melomel that is bulk aging in a glass carboy. What's the best way to back sweeten with honey while still in the carboy? Just pour honey in and hope it dissolves? Ideas?

FWIW, I usually don't backsweeten until I'm literally ready to bottle; ie, in the bottling bucket...is there any reason you absolutely have to add this in the carboy?

Regardless, I suppose the answer would depend on how much room you have in the carboy...if there's room I'd try to dissolve whatever honey you want to add in a small amount of hot water, and then pour it in. Also, if you've racked it to the point you have no lees, you could perhaps use an aerating wand to stir the honey in to help w/ dissolution.

Ya I suppose that waiting for the bottling bucket would probably be the best idea along with the hot water. I just get nervous with stirring and oxidation.

Since you've aged it some in a carboy, I'd rack it to a clean carboy, and then add a little honey to whatever SG level you want it at, and stir it in good. Then let it bulk age more. At bottling time you'll have a little sediment left behind in the carboy from the honey. To me it's better left there, than to settle out in the bottles.

If you take honey and dissolve some water in it to make it more liquid before you pour it it, you don't have to stir a much to get the honey dissolved. It doesn't take too much water to make it lots easier.

Back