Pouring from keg into bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
I know they make beer guns and the like for bottling from a keg. But if I have a new keg of Stout that I want a co-worker to try, can I pour a bottle tonight from my tap, cap it and take the bottle into work tomorrow? Will it be as good as if it were poured directly out of the tap?

Would it be better if I poured it in the morning before work, capped it and took it in?

It's already carbed and tasting mighty good.

Thanks.

Tim

My first thought is that if you keg, and might want bottles, you might as well get a counter-pressure filler, or a beer gun. It's nothing compared to the expense of the keg setup, and I've enjoyed my counter-pressure filler so far. Bottles are a very cheap way to store beer after you've force carbed.

As for the immediate problem, do you have any emtpy growlers lying around? I don't use my counter-pressure filler when filling a growler (search "exploding growlers"), because I'm worried about it blowing up on me. They seem to last a good weekend without becoming noticably flat.

If you don't then I would try the morning for sure. I've never tried filling a bottle without a CPF, but the air-to-beer ratio will be a lot higher in a bottle, so I'd be nervous too. I'm sure someone here has tried it, and will chime in soon.

I'm not worried about doing this on a regular basis, just wanted to take some in tomorrow for a taste testing...

Thanks for the info, I have a growler from the local brewpub maybe I'll put some in that in the morning and take it.

T

Check out this thread. I've done it this way in a pinch. I lost a little carbonation, but I'm sure it's much less than pouring straight into the bottle w/o back pressure.

Good luck!

The BMBF is the way to go, esp in situations where you just want to bottle a few beers off of a keg. They key is keeping your flow very slow. I don't get any foam when filling this way.

Back