Can you Brew It recipe for Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the souring bugs end up dominating the flavor profile.

Based on reading what those in "the know" have written, this is spot on. Very young, you may notice the difference with the two main yeasts. Over time (and how long we're talking here, I'm really not sure), the difference will practically disappear.

3711 won't leave much at all but you do a maltodextrin addition to feed them. Lots of breweries that use high attenuating yeast will just pitch the bugs in primary too.

That's a good idea. I was actually surprised when I saw the recipe that it didn't use a Saison yeast, because the 2 Bam Biere's I had were very Saison like.

Another question, I have 4 oz. of Crystal hops, but they are over a year old. Should I just buy some fresh ones.. or does it matter in a sour farmhouse like this?

Aged hops are more of a Kriek/Lambic thing, but I'm sure at 1 year of age they are plenty fine. I'm still using some columbus from a year ago that was just in a ziplock bag in the freezer and the aroma/bitterness is still good. I'd use em but maybe increase your late additions with them.

No, he just said he's seen great clones using dregs. I didn't want to badger the guy with a million questions.. just told him his beers are phenomenal, and thanked him for being supportive of the homebrewing community.

No, he just said he's seen great clones using dregs.

I did a split Bam Biere clone batch last Monday (5/30). Total boil was 10 gallons - 8.5 remaining... I split 5 gallons to a 6.5gal carboy and pitched WLP550 and 2.5 gallons off to a 3-gallon carboy and pitched 3 bottles of Bam Biere dregs. Within 6 hours, the WLP550 batch had a fatty krausen and was quite happy... little brother was not... but after 36 hours, the dregs carboy was happily bubbling away too!

Today (6/6) I tasted both... to my surprise, the 'dregs' brew is souring already - WTF? I checked pH and the dregs batch was around 4.0 while the WLP550 was at 4.5! Interesting!!

I was planning to let these go, then blend the bug-biere with the 'clean' one to tailor the sour... but now that the dregs brew is souring so quickly... I'm not sure what I'm going to do... probably just drink, I presume!

At any rate - just wanted to share my current experience with the CYBI clone recipe and using JP dregs... they work!!
Cheers!
Mike

Alright so I finally brewed this last week, subbed in Carapils for Flaked Barley and used Wyeast 1388 Strong Golden yeast because it's what I had.

Hit my numbers dead on 1.039
Pitched at 68 degrees for 24 hours, and then let it ride.

Finished out at 1.010, and I've racked to secondary on top of JP dregs.

If I am pitching dregs in secondary then I put the oak in at the same time. 1 week in and I usually have a pellicle in secondary.

for anyone planning on pitching solely the dregs, I found out from Ron that they now use a separate bottling strain, so the dregs contain the primary strain, wild yeast, souring bugs, and the bottling strain.

OK guys.. need some advice.

It's been in secondary on JP dregs for a month now, and it's developed a pellicle. When should I bottle this thing?

I would really like the funk to be subtle at first, and then develop in the bottle.

Most pro's will say you need to give the bugs at least 3 months to eat up the available dextrins. Any sooner and your risking bottle bombs or really high carb eventually.

OK guys.. need some advice.

It's been in secondary on JP dregs for a month now, and it's developed a pellicle. When should I bottle this thing?

I would really like the funk to be subtle at first, and then develop in the bottle.

What is the gravity? and how much has it dropped since you added the dregs?

I was going to check, but isn't breaking the pellicle a no-no?

You can pull a sample without concern of breaking the pellicle. It may reform, it may not, but if you are practicing good sanitation it shouldn't matter.

I've had a pellicle drop out from vibration when the city was jackhammering the sidewalk abutting my house. That beer stayed clear for a few months after the pellicle fell, then out of nowhere reformed about 6 months later.

So I brewed up a Bam Biere clone in mid june. 10 gallons. OG was 1.038, and it was ~1.010 when I racked to secondary about a month later. Pitched 3 bottles worth of dregs between the two secondaries: Maracaibo, Madrugada, and Oro. The pellicle formed within a week! Totally crazy.

I'm fighting the urge to taste it or read the gravity. How fast should I expect the souring to occur? I was thinking of leaving this for another few months before sampling.

OK fans.

Cracked my first one after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Fan freaking tastic.

Undercarbed unfortunately, but I'll probably gain some carbonation as the brett continues to work. I was afraid of bottle bombs, so I only carbed to 2.5 volumes and I guess with the low gravity 1.005 I should have added some yeast or something.

Mine was on dregs/oak for 2 months. In hindsight I should have waited until just before bottling to dry hop.. i.e. there was no dry hop aroma.. all brett.

Wonderfully light and refreshing, with just a touch of twang on the end. The brett/sour is not overpowering and would appeal to non-sour lovers. I'm going to brew this again right away, and do 10 gallons. I'm going to keg 5 gallons for drinking fresh, and bottling the rest to age.

I brewed this but with a few minor changes and added 5% acidulated malt. i went with just a starter of the dregs from ES Bam for the primary and after only 2 months its crazy how sour this is. I plan on re-using this cake a ton (already tossed a flanders onto it), those are some super active bugs!

Nice idea.. I saved the cake after bottling and left a little beer sitting on top of it. Perhaps I'll brew a Flanders, as that was going to be my next sour beer. I'm assuming it will take a year or so to get properly sour?

it probably varies batch to batch, but if this one was any indication of others, 2 months may be enough. it was as sour as any flanders ive had. its still a lil rough around the edges, so more time would definitely help, but im truly amazed at the quality of a sour this made in just 2 months time.

Have most folks bottled or kegged their BB clone? And for those that have bottled, did you use bottling yeast?

I sorta forgot about this batch, so mine has been sitting for 7 months and is pretty darn close to 1.000 gravity. Thinking I’ll dry hop this for a couple days and bottle in heavies with champagne yeast next week.

Have most folks bottled or kegged their BB clone? And for those that have bottled, did you use bottling yeast?

I sorta forgot about this batch, so mine has been sitting for 7 months and is pretty darn close to 1.000 gravity. Thinking I’ll dry hop this for a couple days and bottle in heavies with champagne yeast next week.

I've aged for 6 months and haven't needed to add any yeast at bottling yet but the champagne yeast is a nice safety net just in case.

Alright fans, here it is. Absolutely delicious.

Brewed July 18, 2011.
DHWrj.jpg

Alright fans, here it is. Absolutely delicious.

Brewed July 18, 2011.
DHWrj.jpg

Looks awesome, elproducto! How would you compare yours to the JP version?

In mine, I detect a bit of tart apple...more tart than sour. I bottled and it is still a bit green, so I hope that will fade a bit as its a little disappointing

I haven't had a BB in a couple of months, but I think the color is VERY close. I've only ever had BB that was a few months old, so it certainly has more sour/funk than my young version. Mine has definate sour notes, it hits me right in the back of the throat on the finish. My carbonation is a bit low.. but I undercarbed on purpose as I bottled at 1.005ish, so I suspect it will level out.

Next time I brew it, I will do 10 gallons and with 5 gallons I'll keg it while it's young to stop the bugs.

I take back my previous comments about my batch, tried it again recently and it has really come around nicely. Really happy with the level of sourness, not much I would change.

Ive recently purchased 2 smack packs of Roseleare. I had planned on modifying a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, S-04 in the primary, and Roseleare in the secondary, just as an experiment.

I'm a huge fan of Jolly Pumpkin, especially the Madrugada Obscura. Today, I finally found a local store that had a few bottles of the Obscura and La Roja, so I bought a couple of each.

Although I have no plans on what to do with the dregs, I do want to harvest them from these bottles. Just curious on the best way to do this, and what I can expect on the life of the dregs. I was thinking of just sterilizing a mason jar, leaving some sterile water in it, and pouring the dregs in it. I'm guessing this should be good, but if there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

I may be a month or two out before I utilize the dregs, as I've got a backlog of recipes I'm planning on brewing. I just want to make sure I can keep them viable, and I'm all about trying to learn how to put them to good use. I'll be making my first attempt at a sour in a couple weeks.

were you planning on using both packs of roselare on the breakfast stout? one is all you need for a secondary. make sure to keep your IBUs low if you want to get much sour out of it.

personally, id just hold off on drinking the JP stuff til you're gunna use the dregs or make a lil extra of something to toss them in to build up

Yeah, I just planned on using one of the roeselare on the breakfast stout. I'll be brewing that next weekend, and I expect to leave it in the primary on the S-04 for a month before racking and pitching the Roeselare.

If I do want to save the dregs from the Obscura and La Roja, how long could I expect them to keep? I'd rather not just dump them, if I can keep them viable for a couple months.

I brewed this recipe a little while back and am enjoying the results now. My attempt is really close to Bam Biere flavorwise and a wonderful drinking beer. My efficiency was higher than expected during the brew so I ended up with a higher ABV, more like an ES Bam. I fermented with WLP550 and then added JP dregs that I had built up on a stir plate into secondary.

I left the beer with the dregs for about 8 weeks at ambient house temps, in the upper 60s to 70 (early this spring/late winter). Tasting along the way is a great way to judge when you are getting the beer you want. I kegged my version so I didn’t need to worry about the bottling aspect. Here’s what happened with my gravities:
OG: 1.046
FG (from WLP550): 1.010
FG (from dregs): 1.002

Harvesting the dregs isn't too hard. Here's what I did:
1. Make a small starter (500ml).
2. Open beer and pour off to drink and enjoy.
3. With about and inch or two of beer left in the bottle swirl it around to get all the dregs in suspension.
4. Flame the bottle top.
5. Pour dregs into the starter.
6. Set on stir plate and leave alone for a week or two.

I can't speak from experience to how long the dreg starter will remain viable, but they did survive for quite a long time in the bottle already, so I would expect that your starter mix will keep for a few months in the fridge without an issue.

Ive recently purchased 2 smack packs of Roseleare. I had planned on modifying a Founders Breakfast Stout clone, S-04 in the primary, and Roseleare in the secondary, just as an experiment.

I'm a huge fan of Jolly Pumpkin, especially the Madrugada Obscura. Today, I finally found a local store that had a few bottles of the Obscura and La Roja, so I bought a couple of each.

Although I have no plans on what to do with the dregs, I do want to harvest them from these bottles. Just curious on the best way to do this, and what I can expect on the life of the dregs. I was thinking of just sterilizing a mason jar, leaving some sterile water in it, and pouring the dregs in it. I'm guessing this should be good, but if there is a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

I may be a month or two out before I utilize the dregs, as I've got a backlog of recipes I'm planning on brewing. I just want to make sure I can keep them viable, and I'm all about trying to learn how to put them to good use. I'll be making my first attempt at a sour in a couple weeks.

Back