$60 stainless hinged false bottom on ebay - any users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
So while sniffing around on ebay, I spotted this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290364323800

A 14 3/4" Stainless Steel Hinged False Bottom. Based on the description, it sounds like a nice piece - 16ga stainless, with 3/32 holes on 5/32 centers, plasma cut - and was wondering if anyone had scooped one of these up and used it? I know jaybird's have some fantastic reviews, and was planning to go that route, but $135 shipped for two (as opposed to $190) is savings that's kinda hard to ignore.

I bought one just recently. I think I ended up ordering it off of their website though for whatever reason. Quality is above what I would have hoped for. Haven't brewed with it yet, but can report on any unseen issues should they arise. For what it's worth, I asked for one without a center hole as I'll be bottom draining, and they are available.

Yep, I have these and haven't gotten to use them yet. I say go for it, they're pretty high quality and are built the same way as other "brands". Looking back, I wish I would have known about being able to get one without a hole. I'm moving in the bottom drain direction, and this would be nice.

Good to hear that the ebay ones do the job - although they've jacked their prices recently, if you got two for $110 shipped, Steve!

Long ago and far away I used to be a machinist tool maker. I know how things are made.

I look at prices like that or the near hundred dollar prices others demand and shake my head in wonder that any one has the audacity to charge so much for so little.

Long ago and far away I used to be a machinist tool maker. I know how things are made.

I look at prices like that or the near hundred dollar prices others demand and shake my head in wonder that any one has the audacity to charge so much for so little.

i hear you on this one, iam a " jack of all trades" master of carpenty and a engineer. this days there is few people that have a good head and know how you use their hands so the rest has to pay the price.
some of those skilled people charge a arm and a leg for products and make a lame excuse for it. thats why we are the engine behind inventing how to make pruducts cheaper and better.
like my grandfather sad "anything is possible, ones you put your mind to it"

so this might be a really stupid question but how would you remove the false bottom if your pick up tube is installed?

so this might be a really stupid question but how would you remove the false bottom if your pick up tube is installed?

Niginata,

I use this false bottom and if I want to remove it I just unscrew the pickup tube from the fitting and the entire things lifts out.
It is really well made the only thing I did was add 4 stainless screws in the locations shown to act as feet for additional support.

100_4905.jpg

kind of what i thought but I just though unscrewing the pick up tube every time might be a little pain in the ass but i guess you win some and lose some, thanks

Back