Indianapolis, I'm impressed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyxator

Reaction score
I just got back from Indianapolis last week after visiting my folks for the holidays. Man, I'm actually pretty jealous! Brugge Brasserie is amazing, and I managed to make it over to the Broad Ripple Brewpub as well, which was very solid. I had a few beers from the Oaken Barrel that were good, although I didn't make it out to the brewery. I also get to treat myself to Bells while I'm there, since their beers don't make it to Phoenix.

There were many more locals that I would have liked to try.

I visit my folks every year, so are there any other places I should check out next time?

How is the Broadripple Brewpub these days? I haven't been there in years, but it was the first brewpub I ever experienced...must have been the early 90's. I'll bet it's been 5 years since I've been there.

I just got back from Indianapolis last week after visiting my folks for the holidays. Man, I'm actually pretty jealous! Brugge Brasserie is amazing, and I managed to make it over to the Broad Ripple Brewpub as well, which was very solid. I had a few beers from the Oaken Barrel that were good, although I didn't make it out to the brewery. I also get to treat myself to Bells while I'm there, since their beers don't make it to Phoenix.

There were many more locals that I would have liked to try.

I visit my folks every year, so are there any other places I should check out next time?

Barley Island just opened a location up about a month ago on the corner of 62nd and College. They were originally located in Noblesville. They do some really fantastic beers. SWMBO is absolutely obsessed with "Dirty Helen", and for good reason. It's without a doubt my favorite brown ale. The food is a million times better than the crap that shove out in Noblesville as well.

Alcatraz Brewing Co. downtown is really good as well. Their Belgian beers are arguably better than Brugge who specialize in Belgian beer. My only complaint about Alcatraz is that it's atmosphere is almost too classy. It gives a very "chain restaurant" feeling, while there is only one other Alcatraz brewery located in California. Anyways the brewmaster, Omar Castrellon is a really knowledgeable brewer and is always a pleasure to "talk shop" with if you catch him during a visit. He's about the most daring brewer you meet as he uses a lot of unconventional ingredients. One of my favorites was his "Pepper Beer" which included things like jalapeno and habanero. It doesn't sound good, I know, but you'd be surprised :fro:

(EDIT: And if you take a look at their menu on their webpage you can tell it's a good brewery when they tell you what hops were used in their particular beers ;) )

How is the Broadripple Brewpub these days? I haven't been there in years, but it was the first brewpub I ever experienced...must have been the early 90's. I'll bet it's been 5 years since I've been there.

The only change since 1991 is that it's non-smoking now. The lack of tobacco smoke wafting in the air really killed that proper British pub feel IMO, but it's the law around here now. Stupid politicians.

The place is standing room only on the weekends though as always. I'm actually about to head out to the BR Brewpub for the afternoon :D

I am a native of Noblesville who now lives in the DC area. Dirty Helen is also my favorite brown ale, bar none. I am constructing some clone recipes to try when the weather cools. They give a lot of information on their website. Any suggestions?

Back