High Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed an English IPA yesterday, and I racked on top of a yeast cake. I chilled the wort to 67 put it in my fermentation chiller set at 67 and when I woke up this morning it was fermenting to all hell and the temp was @ 80 Degrees( I flamed a therometer and stuck it into the airlock hole).
I took the bucked outside to garage and put a fan on it to cool it down back to 68, it took about 2 hours. Do you think there will be any ill side effect from the brief fermentation at that high of a temp i.e: fusel?
I've racked to a yeast cake many times but never seen this vigorous of a fermentation.
Thanks

I dont think this would ruin the beer by any means, but it may have created some esters or hot alcohols. Only time will really tell.

What time of fermentation chiller are you using? Is it a fridge, freezer?

I use the son of fermentation chiller with frozen 2 liter jugs of ice. It has been very effective to this point. I think the amount of yeast contibuted to the high temp, although I've never had this problem before.

Latest posts

Back