ADding water to wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
I just bought a kit with the whole Shabang. Anyway i got a pumpkin ale kit and it uses malt extract. I think i know when to add everything except how to add water to my wort. The guy told me a recipe but it was so much stuff i forgot. haha Im looking for a good step by step process. Ive been looking but the main problem i have is finding how to make my liquid equal 5 gallons. The boiling water only calls for 2.5 gallons. When do i add more and if there are any good instructions for this type of beer let me know. Thanks!!!

yeah ive checked that out. i guess my biggest question is Do i add water to my wort to get to 5 gallons? and when

huh, I just looked and I guess Palmer doesn't mention that. Strange. When you're doing a partial boil, you add the top up water before you pitch the yeast.

In extract brewing you top off in your fermenter then you need to shake or stir for a good 5 minutes to thoroughly mix the wort and water (if you don't do it for quite that long, do worry it will mix on it's own during fermentation)

Then you pitch your yeast.

yep - once you get done boiling the wort, add it to the fermenter, then add water until you get to five gallons. Stir, cool to appropriate temp for the yeast, and pitch.

Back