Fermented too hot.. can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRbrewguy

Reaction score
:drunk:Hey all,

I brewed a batch of summer ale (extract) on sunday night, cooled the wort in a tub of water and pitched the yeast (Danstar dry yeast w/ a starter) right at about 75 degrees. OG was 1.048.

The next day, as fermentation was a-bubblin' the temp in the house rose to about 79. I set up a few fans to blow on the beer since we don't have A/C, and hoped for the best. The airlock stopped bubbling within about 18 hours, so I think the high temps provided a quick and vigorous fermentation, but I'm worried about off-flavors. I just now read about the wet-tshirt trick, so do you think doing that now would help the beer, or is it a potential lost cause?

Don't chuck it, keep until maturation. Some off those off flavors can be cleaned up, others will mellow with time, and you might enjoy the others, who knows. Live and learn, you'll be better prepared next time

I agree - there's not a lot you can do about it now but see it through and hope for the best. Stabilizing the temp and giving it a week or two longer in the primary than you normally would is your best option IMO - the yeast can clean it up a lot if given the chance.

Most important is if you were going to get off-flavors, they have probably been created. If you don't have a problem now, you aren't likely to have one later.

So does it smell like Bazooka, over-ripe bananas, or have a hot taste?

Most important is if you were going to get off-flavors, they have probably been created. If you don't have a problem now, you aren't likely to have one later.

So does it smell like Bazooka, over-ripe bananas, or have a hot taste?

I had nearly the same experience over the weekend. 18hrs and finis! Plan to wait for a week or so before opening up the pail and doing any investigating. Question though...what does a "hot taste" taste like?

Latest posts

Back