Pulled fruit too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I am making a srtawberry wine. I used 18lbs of strawberrys, 12 lbs of sugar and acid blend, pectic enzyme, 5 campden tabsyeast nutrient and Lavlin 1116 yeast. My question is I pulled the bag of fruit in the straining bag and discarded after 18 hours before pitching the yeast. I am reading through some things this morning and find I should have left the fruit in until the primary fermentation or 5-7 days was over. Will this make a weak wine and is it worth keeping?

It'll likely be weak on fruit flavour & hoochy tasting from the alcohol. You might be able to save it by adding more fruit to it quickly. Regards, GF.

This has been fermenting for 4 days already, should I still try to add fruit or would this risk infection?

There is going to be more alcohol in your wine now compared with when you started. You should be fine in putting more fruit in for a while. I agree with Gratus, if you don't keep the fruit in for right around a week, the flavors won't really come out and you'll have a wine that is primarily composed of table sugar as the fermentables. That just won't provide you with a very good finished product.

Back