Foam Comes Pouring Out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

Silly question but...

Does anybody know roughly how many volumes of CO2 you need in solution for a bottle to start gushing foam at room temperature without any shaking or agitation?

Also, if this is happening it is safe to assume the caps will pop off before the bottle explode, right?

I used Beersmith to calculate 2.5 volumes but that simply can't be right because I've never add these results. I suspect the fermentation was not complete.

Thanks.

Also, if this is happening it is safe to assume the caps will pop off before the bottle explode, right?

It is not safe to assume this. Do a quick search for bottle bombs.

I don't think that there has been a recorded death from a bottle bomb, but they are still something to avoid. :mug:

oh and hello from lotus land

Nope, not safe. Best to put them in a closed cooler to let them finish in case any let go.

They are already in a closed cooler. I took care of that immediately.

I chilled two in the fridge and opened one this morning. It did not pour out which is good, however it was far too fizzy.

DAMMMITTTT!!! This is why I keg ;)

Back