Instant fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCasey

Reaction score
ok, so I've had this cranberry wine batch that has been in a stuck fermentation for over 6 weeks. I was trying out some new yeast that I picked up and I was having no luck. So I finally gave up and whipped out the trusty red star Premiere Cuvee Wine Yeast packet and poured a quarter of a pack in.

THE THING EXPLODED.

Not after one second the yeast touched the surface of the cranberry and the whole container exploded in a frenzy of bubbles. It was like I opened the cap on a shooken bottle of soda, foam was pouring out of the air lock and I had to get a tube the hard ware store.

I've never seen anything like it. Has anybody had this happened before?

I'm guessing it released the CO2 out of suspension. Kind of like adding mentos into a diet coke bottle.

I agree with the CO2 in suspension deal. You just created a ton of nucleation points and all that gas came out. No gravity change, yet.

Yep, a few people have had the same result adding granulated sugar to beer in primary without dissolving it in some water first. Beer fountain!

Back