Left it overnight without pitching??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I started brewing way too late last night and I just couldn't get the batch cooled down enough to pitch the yeast. I've sanitized everything and the wort is in a carboy with an airlock on it to keep it as clean as possible, but has this damaged the brew? I seem to remember reading an article from Palmer in BYO about Australian Pale Ales where they normally put it in an airtight vessel overnight and pitch the next day. Does that apply to any beer? I know it's not ideal, but I wasn't able to do a water bath or work on it. This morning the daughter is getting her first teeth and she required much maintenance, so I wasn't able to pitch this morning and the temp looked like it was still over 80. I am finding that being a new father and new hombrewer is quite a challenging combination.
Not sure if it matters, but I do have a 2 qt. starter waiting for it.

Dont Worry
Having a large active starter will mitigate the problems somewhat
Unless its a very light style or you are particularly unlucky and get a virulent infection you will probably not notice the difference.

I made a porter but accidentally killed my yeast (set smack packs on external hard drive case....got it really hot). It sat for two days before pitching good yeast and the beer turned out just fine. I wouldn't worry at all if your sanitation was good.

Your fine, this is a common practice especially if you do POLs RWS (real wort starter) and use a bit of your own wort to get a starter going for the first 24-48 hours.

I brewed Saturday and had a failed pacman starter so I used some of the wort and did another starter with US-05 and didn't pitch it until Monday morning. It is doing great so far.

Ok, so I pitched it last night and i've got a little bubbling within 12 hours. I'm hovering around the low side of the Wyeast 3944 so I wrapped a blanket around it and put it up on a crate to warm it a bit. The temp on the carboy thermometer is probably a little lower than that actual temperature inside right? I'm not sure if I should be concerned, but it almost looks like there is a layer of trub already at the bottom. Is this normal when adding a starter? This was my first. I did shake it pretty vigorously before and during starter addition.

Yah this is common for me now... 24 hour chill... then pitch a starter that uses the wort from the actual brew.

Back