fermentation temps after fermentation???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So I have about 5 brews under my belt but im def. still a noob. My question is I have my scottish ale sitting in a bath wash so I could get the temp down to start ferment. After fermentation is done, i.e. 5-7 days can i age it at room temp? or does it need to keep in the mid 60's the whole time until I keg it? Cause from my understanding it needs to be in the mid 60's to ferment for the yeast, but once the yeast is done doing its "thang" it dosent matter as long as it dosent get too high up in temp.......sorry for the rambling, any insight would be greatful.

How high is you room temp? Just because the yeast have converted all the sugar to alcohol, doesnt mean they are done. Our little friends do alot of housekeeping after primary fermentation. I like to try to keep them in there comfort range as much as possible.

I would keep fermenting in the yeasts ideal range for a week or two after you hit your final gravity. The yeasts do indeed do some cleanup. At that point it is usually more desirable to cool the beer down as oppose to warm it up. The cold environment will "crash" sediment and produce a cleaner beer. Then bottle or keg.

Although it's nice to control it throughout the fermentation, in truth it is only crucial to keep the temps low for the first 48-72 hours of active fermentation. That's when the yeast will be more apt to produce off flavors if the temps are too high....after that, you really don't have to sweat it....

Since I swamp cool in th summer, I only bother or worry about changing the ice bottles for the first 3-4 days...then after that I just let the ambient water temp keep the temps from being too extreme.

How high is you room temp? Just because the yeast have converted all the sugar to alcohol, doesnt mean they are done. Our little friends do alot of housekeeping after primary fermentation. I like to try to keep them in there comfort range as much as possible.

Well since I lost my job and im only 24 I moved back in with the rents to save money b/c im getting married next year. So my parents dont like to run the AC during the summer since they have such a big house and it cost so much to cool, so we usually do the open window and fan method so im thinking i need to run down to lowes and get a bucket to fit the primary and just keep it in a swamp wash, what do you guys think:ban:

Well since I lost my job and im only 24 I moved back in with the rents to save money b/c im getting married next year. So my parents dont like to run the AC during the summer since they have such a big house and it cost so much to cool, so we usually do the open window and fan method so im thinking i need to run down to lowes and get a bucket to fit the primary and just keep it in a swamp wash, what do you guys think:ban:

We're coming up to warm weather brewing season. If you do a search for temp contol or swamp coolers you will see some off the ingenious ways we've come up with...mine's not too ingenuis, it's just a rubbermade bin that can hold 2 5 gallon buckets, or any other combination...plus t-shirts to work as water wicks.

fermenting.jpg

I've gotten down to about 57 in the heat of summer with that setup.

We're coming up to warm weather brewing season. If you do a search for temp contol or swamp coolers you will see some off the ingenious ways we've come up with...mine's not too ingenuis, it's just a rubbermade bin that can hold 2 5 gallon buckets, or any other combination...plus t-shirts to work as water wicks.

fermenting.jpg

I've gotten down to about 57 in the heat of summer with that setup.

What temp do you keep your swamp water to keep it in the mid 60's in the bucket?

What temp do you keep your swamp water to keep it in the mid 60's in the bucket?

bump............

If you're bumping for an answer from me...

I don't really have one...Um...The time I got a high 50's reading, that was the temp of the water bath.

But, I just dump a few frozen bottles into my swamp cooler and call it a day. I don't really sweat specifics....

As long as my bucket fermstrip is below 70, I don't really worry.

Back