Hole size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
I am about to get a 1/2" coupling welded to my keg. What size hole did everyone drill? I think that the couplers are 1-1/16" OD.

Thanks

Don't try to guess. Get your couplings and measure them exactly. You want a snug fit.

Great advice. If everyone here is using a coupler that takes a 1 1/16" hole and there's another one out there that only takes a 1" hole. Your 1 1/16" couplers will shrink in transit the second you drill that hole. My friend Murphy told me that....

Get a digital caliper too. Harbor Freight sells them for cheap if you don't have much cash. That'll give you an exact size if you can't determining the fitting's dimensions from a diagram.

Thanks all!

I ended up going to the welder and getting the piece. On a rough estimate(no calipers here), it is just over an inch. He said he would prefer the hole to be on the small side and he can adjust it more precisely. Great to meet such a nice guy. he is going to charge 15-25 per keg depending how long it takes his guys to do it. Oh, and he let me bring home the couplings for free!!

Back