Working on a recipe: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
Yesterday I emailed the nice folks at Terrapin about some hints towards coming up with a clone for their Rye Pale Ale. I got FAR more help than I expected, infact this info does most of the work for me.

This is my first attempt at formulating a recipe (I'm using beersmith atm, going to try ProMash tonight to see what it says).

This is the info he sent me:
Malt:

Pale 70-75%
Rye 8-10%
Munich light 8-10%
Biscuit 5-7%
Honey 2-3%

Hops:
Magnum 20 bu at 60 minutes
fuggle 11 bu at 30 minutes
ekg 3 bu at 20 minutes
ekg 3 bu at 10 minutes
cascade 3 bu at kettle off
dry hop amarillo 2 oz per 5 gallon

Mash at 154 *F, hold for an hour, sparge, boil 90 minutes ferment at 68*F.

So far this is what I've come up with for an AG recipe:
7lb 2 row Pale Malt
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Rye Malt
8oz Biscuit Malt
4oz Honey Malt
0.50oz Magnum 60min
1.00oz Fuggle 30min
0.25oz EKG 20min
0.50 EKG 10min
0.75 Cascade Flameout
2.00oz Amarillo, Dry hop in secondary

For a PM, it wouldn't be too hard to just drop down to say 2lb 2Row Pale Malt and then sub in 3lb of light DME to hit roughly the same OG based on my calcs.

Also to be decided would be the yeast to use since I wasn't given any hints on that :p
Anyone have any thoughts, input, etc on this? Am I way off base here, I've never even DONE an AG brew much less formulated a recipe for one, but if I could get this right (tested with a PM first) it would be motivation to get the equipment to do so. Anyone else want to take a stab at a clone using the info that I was sent?

Well darn, and here I thought I was on to something. Somehow I missed that when I was looking through the database before. Ah well, at least I got pretty darn close(IMO) on my first try. When I finally do this (it is about 3 brews away on my list) I'll probably shoot for something slightly between the two recipes.

I meant to comment too....

-Very similar recipes. I think either will come out damn close.
-They used to use Victory, seems they have switched to Biscuit.
-I think the Amarillo dry-hop is too much, I used 1 oz. and thought it was too much. I am trying 0.5 oz next time.
-They use Wyeast 1272 (see interview here). I used US-05, it makes a difference. There yeast does not attenuate quiet as well, leaves more of the malt flavor, something mine was lacking.

Next time for me:
-Using Magnum (I have some now)
-Less dry-hop
-Correct yeast

Yeah, I read the interview, pretty interesting stuff. I'm probably going to either use the Wyeast 1272 or possibly WLP051 because I know I can get the WLP 051 locally and it is supposed to be very close to the 1272. Good to hear about the US-05 because that is actually one I was considering.

I'll be using whole leaf Amarillo for the dry hop not pellet, so I may stick with the 2.0oz of it due to less surface area contact. Not 100% sure there yet.

Back