Wyeast activator activated during shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I recently received a Wyeast Activator packet and the packet was swollen, but not as much as if the smack pack was activated. I immediately stuck it in the fridge. Is the yeast still good? The company responded by express shipping me another activator pack, but I figured maybe I could salvage the first packet. It is Pacman for a Dead Guy kit and I don't want to let it go to waste. How can I evaluate if the yeast is good? Make a starter from the first pack? And then save it for future brewing?

I want to give kudos to Mountain Homebrew and Supply for their prompt consideration.

PS: While on vacation in Colorado, I was able to sample a couple of bottles of DFH-120 and two of Pliny the Elder. PTE was great, but the DFH120 was incredible to my taste. Yes, Virginia, your son has become a hop-head, with no plans for rehabilitation. Also got to try some Strong IPA and Mirror Pond. Both good brews. However I had the DFH first so my palate was spoiled.

The yeast will most likely be fine. Leave it in the fridge until a couple of days before you want to use it, then make a nice, big starter to get it reproducing and active.

Weird...Tuesday I too received a Wyeast Pacman Activator that was slightly swollen too. I put it in the fridge...then Wed. night put it in the lager fridge to slowly bring it up...and it swelled even more (I still hadn't smacked it). I made the starter last night and it went like gangbusters so all appears well.

Back