It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*sigh* LOL

It's hard to believe a year ago I was all freaked out. And I think today was the anniversary of the day they called and bumped the surgery till the 22nd.

It's unreal that it's been a year since they cut me open.

So lets see, you havent just survived but thrived after heart surgery and continue to brew while owning harleys and other decidely manly pursuits... I must say, if you cry at the movies, that would be kinda unacceptable...

:cross:

*sigh* LOL

It's hard to believe a year ago I was all freaked out. And I think today was the anniversary of the day they called and bumped the surgery till the 22nd.

It's unreal that it's been a year since they cut me open.

Revvy,
Hope everything goes well for you tommorrow on the table. It is a fairly common procedure and you should be up and atem in a day or at the most 2, The longer you stay in bed the longer it will take to completely recover

GUYS, haven't you been reading the comments? I appreciate all the good wishes.

But I had the surgery A YEAR AGO THIS WEEK!!! I survived!!!!:D

So no RHAMILTON, you can't have my stuff. :mug:

But there is an irony in all this. You all should know, by the nickname, and the comment about the harley (which I don't ride, that was just a comment in the tap room) that I'm a minister (and a cool one despite not having a harley.) :D

What some of you may know is that I haven't done active church ministry like 7 years (I had a run in with church politics that left a bad taste in my mouth) I haven't preached in a church in 5 years. I've just done weddings a funerals for the most part, and avoided church.

Well I helped one of my mentor ministers who had a run in with church politics himself and lost his church job, start a church in Detroit. We've been doing it since the first week in December. John is the sr minister and I pretty much have just done behind the scenes work.

Well John decided to take a couple weeks off and head down to Florida, so this Sunday and next I'm coming out of preaching retirement and actually do the service an delivering the sermons....It's been a long time, and I'm really rusty.

At my best I could do a sermon of the top of my head with just the barest outline, now I had to basically write a complete script that I've been reading and re reading to get as much of it in memory as I can. So I can just hopefully glance down on occasion....

But anyway, I didn't realize til this morning that I'll be doing it for the first time on the anniversary of my surgery...there's some ironic karma here that I haven't figured out yet.

But I'm pretty nervous again anyway.

The cool thing is that a few HBTers are coming out in support, and we're going to the MotorCity Brew Works so I can decompress over a couple pints of Ghetto Blaster after.

It's like riding a bike -- it'll be awkward initially but you'll be surprised how quickly you get back into a rhythm and relax.

My dad had valve replacement in December and ran into lots of complications and almost didn't make it; but he called me today to let me know his cardiologist and surgeon both fully released him today and he'll be visiting this week - and I have plenty of homebrew for him to try :)

Now on THAT I will give you unironic well-wishes. For whatever reason I never thought of being a minister/reverend as being the same as any job, but it really is, with a boss (both human and other-worldly), deadlines etc. I just started a very secular new job, and I had a lot of the same fears.

I drink scotch when I get home usually though ;-).

Now on THAT I will give you unironic well-wishes. For whatever reason I never thought of being a minister/reverend as being the same as any job, but it really is, with a boss (both human and other-worldly), deadlines etc. I just started a very secular new job, and I had a lot of the same fears.

I drink scotch when I get home usually though ;-).

And I have a secular day job as well. Not like a full time minister who runs a church and gets to take monday off after preaching. I still have to put my other hat on and go back to work for 40 hours.

Not doing church ministry for all these years I had my weekends off like normal folks...Now, really Saturdays are my only free day...and since I'm preaching the next two weeks, even part of that day will be devoted to practicing my talk and stuff.

Luckily the medschool goes on Spring break mid week next week and goes through the following week, after these two sundays I'm taking the 1st and 2nd of march off....Hopefully I can get a brew day in on one of them....

I don't know how it is that I'm just now reading this thread!!! Revvy, good luck and Godspeed to you brother. I look forward to reading your "I'm recovering quite nicely" posts.

-Ed

Revvy - I'm new to forum but I had my aortic valve replaced in April of 2008. It was a tough couple of months but I'm 100% now. Glad to hear you are well.

Why don't people follow the thread?

Revy, how is the ministry going? Too bad I don't live in your neck of the woods. I'd be there in a heartbeat on Sundays (no pun intended). I was a worship leader for close to 10 years and am also now in a secular job and just brewin some good beer.

Cheers!

We all don't like very little response to this thread.

It makes me look up Revvy's profile and make sure he's posted in the last 48 hours. If not, I have to PM him and make sure he's still alive.

well Monsignor Revvy I truly hope all your scars have stopped itching and you can relax in the evening with your choice of imbibement or as we used to say in Liverpool a` Bevvy!` Yes it`s your cyber bud Andrew here living in New Haven but leaning an eye on brew town Asheville N.C. When I get set up , which is just a matter of time I will start brewing again and maybe we can share naughty nurses stories ,,Andrew Gibson

Lol. Folks, this is a kinda old thread. Revvy is still alive and kicking, and recovered quite nicely some time ago.

But here we go again - this will probably get ignored by his newest wave of well wishers...

Back