10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbafett

Reaction score
Im basically doing 10 gallon all grain batches now. At my local shop where I buy the kits they provide and have them switch it to all grain from extract, Im getting mixed signals about specialty grains. Some tell me when using all grain you don’t need as much. So, when I double the recipe they don’t double the specialty grains, just the base malt

Basically - a five gallon all grain would use 1/2# carahell, for 10 gallons they kept it 1/2#.

Next time they doubled everything? Anyone have a recommendation?

Also I ferment in a 17 gallon conical, should I use 2 yeast packs or one?

I double everything when I go from 5 to 10. That includes ALL grains. Depending on your brew you may need more than two yeast packs.....Google Mr.Malty.....it will be your yeast pitching friend.

I'm unsure about the specialty grains but I would assume it should stay the same because you're changing the ratio of fermentables to the unfermentables. I would double it inline with the recipe.

As for the fermenting question, you need to figure out the cell count for the Gravity/Size of the beer. If you're talking liquid you're going to need a large starter but if you're using dry you'll definitely need 2 if not more depending the gravity.

The thing is you are going from steeping grains to mashing grains. Doubling the amount isn't accurate and either is leaving the amount the same. It's somewhere in between.

When I did Extract, 1 pound of crystal was what I would steep for a 5 gallon batch.

For a similar 10 gallon AG batch, I use 1.5 pounds of Crystal. For a 5 gallon AG batch I would use .75 pounds.

So if you are stepping up an AG recipe from 5 to 10 gallons, yes just double everything. But you are talking about something entirely different when converting Extract recipes to AG.

The thing is you are going from steeping grains to mashing grains. Doubling the amount isn't accurate and either is leaving the amount the same. It's somewhere in between.

When I did Extract, 1 pound of crystal was what I would steep for a 5 gallon batch.

For a similar 10 gallon AG batch, I use 1.5 pounds of Crystal. For a 5 gallon AG batch I would use .75 pounds.

So if you are stepping up an AG recipe from 5 to 10 gallons, yes just double everything. But you are talking about something entirely different when converting Extract recipes to AG.

Exactly, I use the homebrew shops kits, which are extract. I want to do them but all grain, so they convert the extract to grain and use the same steeping grain for mashing grains. I get two different answers at the same store. Some say double others are saying what you are. .5 to .75.

Where do you guys get all grain recipes? I have been doing all grain for years but only 5 gallon in the Rubbermaid sparging setup. I just finished my 10 gal single tier structure and do 10 gallon batches. I just was wondering if there was really any negative to just doubling everything?

I just was wondering if there was really any negative to just doubling everything?

Not if going from 5 gallon AG to 10 gallon AG. You'll notice that some things don't double like evaporation loss and obviously leftovers in MLT and kettle but you work it out quickly.

Where do you guys get all grain recipes?

Well, a lot of them are from books. But, many are from this site....simply scroll down on the homepage.

Control your own beerdestiny.

Get BeerSmith, come up with the recipe you want...scale it to your liking and then go to the LHBS and tell THEM exactly how much of which grains you want.

Back