Brewhouse efficiency???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seansbrew

Reaction score
I calculated my brewhouse efficiency for my ag system and came up with a number of 79%. This is just one recipe (not an average).

I used a free calculator that I found on Tastybrew.com

What kind of efficiency can I expect from a homebrew system? What is a good number? Am I really loosing too much efficiency?

I would definitely like to get the most out of my system. I just don't know how much better I can do.

Average efficiency runs about 70-75%, so if you are actually getting 79 you are doing fine. Keep track of it over the course of your brewing and see what factors within your system affect it.

79% is pretty darn good. Figure your recipes at 75% and dilute with a little water if you overshoot the OG. If you find that you're consistently near 80%, readjust your recipes to reflect the higher number.

Thats a great number for your efficiency. It can vary depending on the source of your grains and the crush they recieve, but I usually get anywhere from 70% to 80%, depending on the size of the recipe, and the store where I purchase my grains.

The finer the crush, the better the effeciency, but if it gets too fine it will start to cause problems. You may find that it gets hard to sparge, and you may get astingent tannins from the grain husks being too finely crushed.

There are other things that can affect effeciency such as mash tun design, sparge water temp, sparge duration etc., but I would be happy with what you have gotten thus far.

Back