anyone used this Turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fa1321tx

Reaction score
yes i started out with the single burner fryer. you can absolutely use this set up. it is a 30 quart kettle which leaves little head space for doing a full boil but if attended properly - you will be fine.

i also have the dual burner set up. the dual burner set up is great if you plan on going mini-mash or all grain. you will probably by then have a sculpture in mind and use the burners or use as is with a converted cooler.

the dual burner will take 2 - 40 quart kettles nicely. here i have a 40 and a 30 quart. however i have used a 60 and a 40 with no issues

caymancooler%20015.jpg

I have a similar turkey fryer. I don't know how many BTU's it has but it works great. I have no trouble boiling 61/2 gals of wort. I heat the hot water for the mash and sparge in the aluminum pot that came with it. I boil the wort in 71/2 enamel steel canning cooker. he next thong I buy will be a 10 Gal SS pot with a ball valve faucet.

I also used a turkey frier for my first batch. Someone just told me that I shouldn't use it because of the acidity of the aluminum during your boil. How true is that and should I switch to SS before my next batch

mxracer846 said:
I also used a turkey frier for my first batch. Someone just told me that I shouldn't use it because of the acidity of the aluminum during your boil. How true is that and should I switch to SS before my next batch

I just got the book brew ware and they say people claim it leaves a metal taste in your beer but they dont beleive this to be true.

I have had plenty of beer in aluminum cans no metal taste.

I would also like to now peoples opinion on this?:mug:

Stainless Steel is better. It will last lomger and looks nicer but aside from that I think aluminum is fine. Aluminum cooking utensils have been on the market for probably a hundred years. They are used as cooking kettles in restaurants and the notion that you'll get alzheimers is bunk. Palmer's book says that it is OK to use aluminum and has a better heat transfer than SS. If you ever want to upgrade your equipment SS is one of the things you might want to consider

It looks like the best deal I've seen especially the SS. I'd buy the latgest-- should be at least 71/2 gals preferably 10 gal. This will serve all your 5 gal all grain brewing needs

PS some people think a 71/2 gal is too small and that a 10 0r 12 gal is the way to go. I've been getting by with a 71/2 gal for all grain brews.

I was all excited and ready to buy one, but then I noticed they do not have online ordering. If you live in a location that has one of these stores I don't think you could go wrong at that price.
Apparatus

davidkrau said:
It looks like the best deal I've seen especially the SS. I'd buy the latgest-- should be at least 71/2 gals preferably 10 gal. This will serve all your 5 gal all grain brewing needs

Do you think I could add a weldless valve to this?

I'm sure you can add a ball valve but I'm not the one to talk to. I'm sure I'd land up wrecking the SS pot. You might want to talk to the people at www. Morebeer.com
(1-800-600-0033) or www.midwestsupplies.com (1-888-449-2739)

They both sell valves and they would be happy to advise you.

It's an interesting question, you might want to do a new thread on how to add a ball valve to a SS pot. There area lots of handy people out there and I'm sure you would ger plenty of advice.

Back