Milk stout recipe and My own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
Looking for a milk stout recipe and couldnt find one in the recipe database. Any suggestions?

Also, completely unrelated to the milk stout, I began experimenting with creating my own recipes here is one:

As far as naming it I have no idea.

Method:
Mini Mash

Grains
2lbs Vienna
1lb White wheat
.5 lb Biscuit Malt
.5lbs Crystal 20L

Extract
2lbs Honey
2.5lbs Wheat Extract

Hops
.5 oz Perle 60min
1/4 oz Liberty 30min
3/4 oz Liberty 15min
.6 oz Coriander 15min

Yeast
Hefe IV

Fermentation Temp 75 degrees...a little high but i have no choice.

Im still waiting to see what I get but just wanted to know if it sounds good. i was hoping to make it again but this next time adding Oats to give it more body and a creamy mouth feel. Any suggestions as to how to add the oats, they are not instant. Are there any major impacts on flavor for the above recipe if oats are added.

First, milk stout. It's pretty easy. Just brew a regular stout and add a pound lactose to the wort at flameout.

Second, the other recipe sound tasty! I have two recommendations: add some pale malt to the mash; Vienna really only has enough diastatic power to convert itself, and I don't know how much power white wheat has. I'd also go with a cleaner yeast than Hefe. There's going to be an awful lot of flavor going on without adding complication from the yeast's esters. I recommend an American Ale yeast or American Wheat yeast.

Third, oats will add lots of haze and a silky, oily mouthfeel to the beer, as well as some fermentable sugars. If you're not using pre-gelatinized flakes (instant or "quick" oats from the grocery or the flakes from the LHBS), you'll have to cook them before adding them to the main mash. Of course, if you do that, you'll have to account for the water used in that process. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]In a cereal mash, begin by heating a mash of your oats (or other adjunct) and a small amount of your pale malt to 158–160 °F (70–71 °C) and holding there for about 5 minutes. Then you heat the mixture to a boil, boil for 30 minutes - stirring constantly - and return the cereal mash to the main mash. See here for why you add some pale malt to the non-malt adjunct.

Cheers,

Bob
[/FONT]

bobnq3x, the Hefe I used is a strain that focuses more on the clove flavor and less on the banana. Would that help with the flavor? Might I possibly have a too flavorful beer that is undrinkable?

I guess the easiest thing to do is use instant oats as well.

poobah58, great suggestion with the tub.

Might I possibly have a too flavorful beer that is undrinkable?

Good heavens, no!

I only suggest you consider using a strain that imparts little flavor of its own, in order to permit the complex, delicate flavors from the malt, honey and hops the chance to shine. Hefeweizen and Belgian yeasts run the risk of becoming the dominant flavor-producer in the beer (indeed, in order to call a beer Belgian-style, you need that unique Belgian yeast profile). You have a very interesting bill of fermentables, and I think it would be interesting to let the non-yeast ingredients have the flavor spotlight.

Cheers,

Bob

that recipe looks pretty good. never really liked honey in my wheats, myself but go for it. that hefe iv yeast will give some nice apricot notes.

you could add 2-row if you want, but that white wheat has enough diastatic power to convert the 1 lb of specialty grains, no problem. the vienna has alot too

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Default.htm

White Wheat: DP 160
Vienna: DP 130

for comparison...

2-row: DP 140

Back