Fermenter Control Chill/Heat with Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfmase

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just wondering if the control theory behind this setup would work or not. Please see attached pdf.

Assumptions:
both controllers are given the same setpoint.

The water reservoir is a Cornelius CR50 chiller with submerged heater and submerged circulation pump. Another submerged pump circulates water through coils within the fermenter.

Thanks

View attachment Temp Control Circuit.pdf

It is a neat approach, although I suspect you will find that you need an offset in the fermenter side to account for temperature gain/loss between the CR50 and the fermenter.

The wiring on the CR50 side won't do what you're thinking though. In that configuration both the heat and the cool will run any time the STC kicks on.

If you want Heat+Pump or Cool+Pump you need a third relay in the system. Simplest would be a relay with a 120v coil so that you could branch off of the heat and cool lines to directly turn the pump on and off.

The other approach would be to just let the CR50 pump run all the time.

Capture.JPG

Why not just continuously run both pumps and only use one controller to heat or cool the the reservoir water based on the temp of the fermentor? You should be able to get away with cheap 12V or 24V pumps too.

It is a neat approach, although I suspect you will find that you need an offset in the fermenter side to account for temperature gain/loss between the CR50 and the fermenter.

Sorry, I don't quite follow. Do you mean a wider tolerance on the fermenter?

The wiring on the CR50 side won't do what you're thinking though. In that configuration both the heat and the cool will run any time the STC kicks on.

If you want Heat+Pump or Cool+Pump you need a third relay in the system. Simplest would be a relay with a 120v coil so that you could branch off of the heat and cool lines to directly turn the pump on and off.

Well of course it won't. Thanks for pointing out this major flaw.:smack:

Why not just continuously run both pumps and only use one controller to heat or cool the the reservoir water based on the temp of the fermentor? You should be able to get away with cheap 12V or 24V pumps too.

The main reason is the nagging feeling of wasting electricity. But because the coil circulation pump in the CR50 is coupled with an agitator paddle, this solution becomes simpler and that much more attractive.

Cheers

Sorry, I don't quite follow. Do you mean a wider tolerance on the fermenter?

I mean if there is 1f in temperature loss in the tubing, and another 1f in loss due to poor insulation on the fermenter, then you will have to offset your bath temperature 2f to get the temperature you want in the fermenter.

Not a big deal, was just pointing out that the two controllers would probably not operate at the same setpoint.

Back