Can I transport dregs on an airplane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkslurm

Reaction score
Well...more specifically, wil they survive?
I travel a lot for work, and will (hopefully) be buying some Russian River on my next trip. Im from NY and we dont get this wonderful brewery here. If no RR, then just general dreg transport...
I am not checking any bags. Im hoping to transport Brett/buggy dregs, so im not to worried about temp control.

So my plan is to consume the bottle (easy part), then save the dregs in an airplane size vodka bottle. Assuming this works...
Should I steralize the bottle at home and seal it first? Or will the vodka keep it sterile?

Anyone done this?

I would save all the trouble of getting my body parts searched and go ahead and just send a 12 pack of brew home to good ol' NY before I board the plane. Then you won't have anything to worry about except drinking/enjoying the beer while there. Perfect time of the year, and the weather is going to be great here in NY for the next week so you wouldn't have to worry about freezing bottle bombs.

Good luck!

It could work, but I would be wary of the pressure differential within the vodka bottle. I would be sure to close it/tape it shut and be very careful when opening it.

I've had several things leak/explode on me due to plane rides - nail polish, contact solution, shampoos, etc.

I'm pretty sure transporting drugs on airplanes is illegal. Oh wait, did you say dregs?

I would use one of the plastic airplane sized bottles sold at Walmart and such for putting shampoo in rather than a hard plastic one. Sanitizing at home might be smart. Although a sanitizer like StarSan is no rinse because it gets so highly diluted in normal uses once adding wort or beer. For such a small bottle and small live bug population, I would fill with sanitizer at home and take with me. Then before putting the dregs in, put a little beer in, shake it to rinse with the beer, and then dump it. Then I'd put the dregs in.

Or you can take Kai's approach: http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/07/29/travel-yeast-lab/

I know they allow small clear bottles of "liquids" in a plastic bag. You could put the dregs in a small bottle (under four ounces), called 3-1-1 as per the TSA rules.

That is, one (1) one quart bag per person, in which all liquids are placed in a container no bigger than 3 ounces. Even if the amount is less than 3 ounces, you're not allowed to bring a bigger bottle even if the container is half empty, so you'd have to limit it to a 3 ounce container.

Can I transport dregs on an airplane?

Yes. On my last flight, that's all I spotted around me in the compartment.

Back