Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzza1001

Reaction score
I have been kegging for some years now using 18 lt Corny keg but have been given a few 50 lt Carlton kegs with the small opening - have worked out how to open them but how do you clean/sterilize thru this small opening??
Muzza

I've got a wand I made that goes on the end of a garden hose. It's 2' of copper pipe with a couple of very small slots cut in the end. It produces a high pressure jet for cleaning off the mung. Then I fill the keg with hot water and pbw and let it soak for a few hours. Then I rinse it again with the wand. Then I dump 5 gallons of star san in it and close it up and roll it around on the ground until I'm sure the inside is sanitized. Rack beer into it and go. FWIW, I use mine to ferment in.

Yo, I field strip that sucka:D Take it apart, spray out gross material, put some pbw and water in there, scrub it with a carboy brush/ scrub sponge. Then use a "line brush", basically a 3/8" wire brush slender enough to get into pickup tubes and lines. Spray all parts out exceptionally well, check gaskets for excessive wear, then reassemble.

Back