I am drinking way too much beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymartin

Reaction score
I am having a problem with clarity(the beer, not me). Maybe I am not leaving it in the primary long enough. After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.
How long should I leave it in the primary? Should I do a secondary?
I originally thought I was crushing the grains too fine so I bought a mill and still having this problem.

I am having a problem with clarity(the beer, not me). Maybe I am not leaving it in the primary long enough. After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.
I originally thought I was crushing the grains too fine so I bought a mill and still having this problem.

When you don't bother to bottle at all and develop a taste for uncarbonated beer you will have made progress. Huge time saver! That and use a high flock yeast like Wyeast 1968 Fuller's ESB.

The other thing you may be doing is over grinding stirring handling grain and not filtering with a braided SS strainer like you should be...

How long in primary? Depends on how big and how fast it ferments. Leaving it a month for just about any style not a bad idea IMO and experience. Then go to secondary if need be or just bottle it. If you can wait a month of course.

:mug:

I leave my beer in the primary fermenter for 4 weeks before bottling. It gives the yeast time to clean up after themselves. My beers have gotten so much clearer since I've started doing this. Sometimes I use Irish moss as a fining agent but there are times when I forget to add it and my beers are still clear. My friends even comment on the clarity and color of my beers.

When my beers are aging in the bottles, I let them sit for about 4 weeks before cracking one open (unless the alcohol% is +7 then it's much longer). This also gives the yeast/sediment time to finish settling out.

The yeast you use also makes a difference. I bottled an Irish ale last night. This batch I used WLP007 (Dry English strain) and the beer was so unbelievably clear. The point is this: if you use a yeast that flocculates well (meaning it clumps and falls to the bottom) then that will also help produce a clear beer. Some yeasts tend to remain suspended in the beer, like the WLP500 (Trappist strain) yeast.

tommymartin said:
After 2 weeks fermentation has slowed to almost 0. I have already drank all of the last batch so I go ahead and bottle it. Another week in the bottle and the beer is still cloudy. My recipee tastes great so I go ahead and drink it all.

It sounds like you do one batch at a time.
Ferment-Bottle- Ferment-Bottle- Ferment-Bottle

Have you ever tried to get another batch in the cycle?
Ferment-Bottle-Age- Ferment-Bottle-Age- Ferment-Bottle-Age

I think I'm just elaborating on what jmtwo said.

DUDE! AS your friend, let me gently point out that your title blows.

It could not have much less to do with your actual question.

Test/control your mash pH & let the yeast clean up, before bottling.

Just because you don't see bubbling doesn't mean that the yeast are done doing their job.

vorlauf, rolling boil, fast chill, whirfloc, gelatin, cold crash, time: in that order

Back