Taking the GMAT....tell me what you know.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeast Infection

Reaction score
I have decided to get my MBA, therefor I am going to take the GMAT (the test to get into business school). Would love to hear any suggestions, experiences, opions, study habits, anything. I have already noticed that I am not the best at the data sufficiency problems.

Whatever you do, don't go into it thinking you'll do well enough to get by. I did that and my math score was pretty bad. I took it last minute and went into it blind. I didn't even realize you couldn't use a calculator. Man, it it a ***** to do detailed problems without a calculator.

I'd take a class. From what I understand, they're pretty good at covering the bases.

Oh im not going into it blind....I have beeen studying and taking practice tests. I can not afford a class right now, they are about a $1000-$1500, and online courses range from $100-$1200. So I bought a $40 test prep book, and I am going to start with that.

Buy the Kaplan book with the CD and spend about 4-6 months going through it prior to taking the test. Well, in reality, figure out where you want to go and find out what kind of score you need.

EDIT: By the way COngrats on having the courage to do this. You won't regret it one bit.

Develop the skill of estimating the answer before you start the calculations. Think about what a reasonable answer would be. Getting reasonable answers in a timely fashion is much more useful in business (and the GMAT) than an "exact" answer after the opportunity has passed. I use the quotes, because there are no exact answers in business, just working approximations.

I took it in 1979, cold.

Thanks for the advice david42. Estimation and approximation are definately essential parts of the test. now back to studying.

I used the Princeton Review book and CD along with the math workbook they sell. I spent something like 30 minutes a day going through the book for 2 months, then I moved on to the workbook to beef up my math skills.

After a month or so I started trying the practice tests on the computer. This was invaluable as it gave me a feel for what taking the test on the computer would be like.

Remember, standardized tests do not test your knowledge, they test your ability to take the test.

Yeast Infection said:
Oh im not going into it blind....I have beeen studying and taking practice tests. I can not afford a class right now, they are about a $1000-$1500, and online courses range from $100-$1200. So I bought a $40 test prep book, and I am going to start with that.
How are you doing on the practice tests? They were a pretty good predictor of my actual score.

Back