Side-mounted ball valve placement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
So I'm all set to finally install a ball valve and a sight glass/thermometer on my HLT, as part of moving towards a gravity fed all grain system (have been dumping whole pots of hot water for a while now and my back is done with it...)

Anyway, it would make the most sense to install the ball valve on the side of the pot, as I'll be using a typical stairstep setup and going (highest to lowest) HLT > Mash Tun > Brew Kettle, but I don't think I've ever seen side mounted ball valves on any vessel.

Am I missing some fundamental reason, or is it simply because everyone assumes they will eventually upgrade to a single tier, pump-driven system?

Most of the valves people have on here are side mounted ball valves. you will need a dip tube if you want it to be full drain.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was differentiating between front and side, not side and bottom. Most of the vessels I see have sight glass/therm/valve on the front, as you are facing them. I was thinking of putting my sight glass and therm on the front (between the handles) and valve on the side for draining straight into a cooler mash tun and wondered if there was some inherent pitfall I was overlooking (besides it being in the way were I to upgrade to a single tier/pump-driven system).

I think putting the valve between the handles is best for moving the pot around. I think you are less likely to snag the valve on an object going through a door or storing it. Once it is on your burner you can rotate the pot to put the valve in any direction.

Thanks. I guess that makes sense. If I offset the thermometer/sight glass to the left a little I will still be able see them when I rotate the pot so the valve is pointing right, and if I do ever move to a single tier system then valve won't be in the wrong spot.

Back