My ruined 40 dollar thermometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I bought this Traceable digital thermometer a few weeks ago.
T100-4039_product.jpg

It's rated up to 572 degrees, so I figured I'd use it in the oven tonight on a roast I was cooking. Turns out it melts at around 325. It didn't say anything about not using it in the oven so I figured it be fine...now I'm out 40 bucks, unless they replace it (crossing fingers).

Dan

I think they mean you can use the probe in the oven.

I have one that's similar, only a bit larger control unit. The control unit remains outside and the probe goes inside. I use it for meats.

ProfLight said:
I think they mean you can use the probe in the oven.

I have one that's similar, only a bit larger control unit. The control unit remains outside and the probe goes inside. I use it for meats.

Yeah the probe was inside and the control unit was outside sitting on the counter. The only thing that melted was the plastic on the probe...the cable is fine and unharmed but the melted plastic separated itself from the waterproof cable portion and now it's reading all over the place. I sent an email to Professional equipment asking for clarification. Hopefully they will hook me up. I figured it would be cool and I opened up the roast on several occasions to baste and it looked fine until the final few minutes...this really sucks.

Dan

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I would've thought the same thing. I mean cheapo meat thermometers work OK in the oven. I bet they send you a new probe (maybe with a disclaimer about using the probe wire in the oven again).

Lil' Sparky said:
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I would've thought the same thing. I mean cheapo meat thermometers work OK in the oven. I bet they send you a new probe (maybe with a disclaimer about using the probe wire in the oven again).
Well the probe doesn't disconnect...so they would have to send me a whole thermometer..which is cool with me because it worked great in my mash. I'll just buy one of those 15 dollar things that work in the oven.

Dan

The temp reading may go to 572 deg but it doesn't mean the whole of the thermometer or even the whole of the probe is rated to take that temp.

But I guess you know that now.:eek:

I love the digital thermometer for strike/sparge water temps, but it always gives me three or four different readings in my mash (even after stirring), which makes it hard to figure out which one is correct.

I've had mine (including some of the wire) in boiling water, and never had a problem. At least they'll replace it.

Well...I was an idiot and it cost me 40 bucks. They aren't going to replace it..I didn't really care for their customer service response either...very vague on temps at which this thermometer will melt and "although it doesn't state it in the manual, it was not meant for oven use" philosophy. anyway, the thermometer worked pretty good, I wouldn't buy from Professional equipment though..maybe somewhere with a bit better customer service..

Anyway...now I have to get my mash therm, and a simple hand held instant read I guess..I didn't like the fact that this one came with 10 feet of cable...it's just a bit too much to keep track of.

Damn I hate making stupid errors..especially when they cost me cash!

Anyone have recommendations on what to get?

Dan

Back