combination hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
so for my ipa i was looking at combinations for flavor and aroma additions. at the time, i was looking at using simcoe/amarillo. i then decided to kinda experiment. for the flavor(20min) and aroma(5min) additions i decided to add 1/4oz each of simcoe, amarillo, centennial, and 1/8 columbus. ive never seen anybody do this and dont see any recipes online of this combination. my thought was to take each hop in the small amount to act as one hop with this variety of characteristics. i must say, the combo smelled really good when i added them together into a bowl before i threw them into the boil. im also adding this same combo for the dry hop with a bit more columbus. has anybody tried this? do you think the combination will give off an awesome flavor/aroma or will it be overkill? i like hoppy brews and the ibu's are about 75 with a 7.0abv.

These are my favorite hops. I've made several IPAs, IIPAs, CDAs, and Barleywines using this exact combo and I think they work fantastically together.

These are my favorite hops. I've made several IPAs, IIPAs, CDAs, and Barleywines using this exact combo and I think they work fantastically together.

ive used all these hops as well, some all in the same beer. i usually space them out though. like amarillo at 30, simcoe at 15, centennial at 5, etc. have you used them all as one addition though? i was wondering how they blended as an individual addition. just a little bit of each all mixed up. kinda like all of them mixed equals a mystery hop or a new variety.

my ipa recipes usually have columbus for bittering and then a mix of centennial, amarillo, simcoe, and sometimes cascade.

I think they work great.

Back