Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got some of this in the bottle.

P1020813.JPG

alowishus said:
I think the general consensus was that it's around 5-6%. Did you take the SG before you started - might give you a more exact idea.

No, I have only made one batch with 6 gallons and 3 pounds of dextrose. I want to be able to adjust the ABV for future batches so if I know what the ABV of just juice is vs. Ed's recipe vs. my concoction, I can figure out how much more or less corn sugar to add to get where I want to be. I guess I could just simplify things and do hydrometer readings.

Well, I spent two afternoons reading about 40 pages of this thread, instead of studying for my finals. Since I'm going to fail my finals because of this, I figure I have to make some so it won't be a total waste. ;-)

I only have EC-1118 on hand, so I'm going to go ahead and use that. I might add some spices too (cinnamon, cloves, etc). I'll let you know in a few weeks how it's coming along!

And one more thing. I think a few people asked this in the 40 pages I read, but I don't think they got an answer. Is dextrose available in the super market?

I just started an Apfelwein experiment. It's either gonna be really good or really bad, but either way it's gonna be fun to find out.

So since I'm not going to be brewing beer in my Mr Beer kegs anymore, I decided to use 'em for Apfelwein. One keg had cider, with cider yeast (it came in the refill kit; not sure of its real designation). I used apple juice, cane sugar, and molasses, and dumped all of it right on the yeast cake from the cider.

Will it work, being that it was cheap Mr Beer yeast? I dunno, but we'll find out. *salutes*

j-bizzle said:
Is dextrose available in the super market?

No, not unless your super market sells malt extract and hops.

I've never heard of one selling corn sugar you'll have to hit the LHBS or use sucrose (table sugar) it will work. The only problem is it'll make your apfelwein taste cidery! :D

Seriously - I've used regular sugar before its OK.

Well tonight I bottled 10 gallons of 5 month old AW in Grolsch bottles and one 2L pop bottle for the left overs.

Let me tell you something, I bought a Strongbow yesterday and it tases the exact same as my AW. All it needs is a bit of carbonation and its set. I already have my 3rd batch waiting for be pitched. ( i need more time )

I used:
montrachet yeast - Motts pressed apples unfiltered comes in 1.89 L bottle. ( never fully cleared since it looks like cider when i started )
montrachet yeast - Motts fileted apple juice. from concentrate comes in 1.89L plastic bottle.

My next batch will be made with montrachet and Rougemont apple juice.

Thanks ED!

Mr_Moe said:
My next batch will be made with montrachet and Rougemont apple juice.

Just a recommendation, but try finding either Allen's, which is made by the same people as Rougement (Lassonde) but which is cheaper, or any of the no name brands (No Name, President's Choice, Compliments, Merit Selection). If they don't have any preservatives (sodium or potassium sorbate most commonly), you will be fine. It usually is cheaper than Rougement, and if you're buying 5-6gallons, saving a couple bucks is a good idea (if you're saving $5 a batch, you can make one more for every 4-5).

I know that I can't find Allen's anymore (found it in beginning of October), so I will most likely use Merit Selection (0.95 a Litre, about $22 for 6 gallons).

j-bizzle said:
Is dextrose available in the super market?

As Schlenkerla said, it is usually not available in super markets, but every LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) would have it. If you are like me and don't have one within an hour of you, check out health food stores. There is one a few minutes from me that sells 2 pounds for $4.49. A bit more expensive than others pay, but saves me the gas and time of going to the closest HBS.

My LHFS (Local Health Food Store) also sells Turbinado and Fructose which I have seen in other recipes here.

j-bizzle said:
I only have EC-1118 on hand, so I'm going to go ahead and use that. I might add some spices too (cinnamon, cloves, etc).

Since you don't have any Montrachet or dextrose, you could always place an order online and have the right stuff in a few days. Also, at least for me, I like to make things in their "straight up" format the first time around so that I know what I am starting with and then have a better idea of what to add (spices,etc.). If you make the first batch with different ingredients and don't like it, you don't know exactly what to blame it on.

Tron

mrfocus said:
Just a recommendation, but try finding either Allen's, which is made by the same people as Rougement (Lassonde) but which is cheaper, or any of the no name brands (No Name, President's Choice, Compliments, Merit Selection). If they don't have any preservatives (sodium or potassium sorbate most commonly), you will be fine. It usually is cheaper than Rougement, and if you're buying 5-6gallons, saving a couple bucks is a good idea (if you're saving $5 a batch, you can make one more for every 4-5).

I know that I can't find Allen's anymore (found it in beginning of October), so I will most likely use Merit Selection (0.95 a Litre, about $22 for 6 gallons).

Lucky for me I bought it when it came on sale at price chopper.

Thanks

I have been doing some serious drinking on my first batch. After 2 12 oz glasses I find myself in a nice place. I have been adding a shot of Tree Top apple juice to each 12 oz glass and it really adds. Not sweet, but puts a bit of apple flavor on the tip of the tongue.
AP

I have been force carbing mine, tastes like champagne, and sometimes I mix with fresh OJ. It makes an awesome mimosa.

Hey guys,

since I read the first 10 pages and this is page 62, I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to a recipe that is a little more sweet and not unlike normal cider than the one in the first post. Did anyone have luck with experimenting with types of yeast and/or adding brown sugar and/or concentrate?

Thanks.

Just make it like EdWort's recipe, then add a packet of splenda or do like I do and put a shot of apple juice to the glass when you pour. You might be surprised and find you like it just as it is straight up. Smooooooth stuff that Apfelwein
AP

NitrouStang96 said:
Hey guys,

since I read the first 10 pages and this is page 62, I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me to a recipe that is a little more sweet and not unlike normal cider than the one in the first post. Did anyone have luck with experimenting with types of yeast and/or adding brown sugar and/or concentrate?

Thanks.

This thread has a decent discussion on the topic.

OK I'm a freak...I just read this entire thread. Took me several hours..in that time I could have made several batches already. Looks like I'll have to start an original recipe batch tomorrow.

Thanks again Ed

I started a batch, using the Simply Apple apple juice, 2 Lbs dextrose and Nottingham yeast. Now, I'm getting some krausen. Must be from the un-filtered juice, or the Nottingham.

I only got 18 bottles of the stuff, but it tastes so good, we drank it before we could get it in the carboy.

Now to wait until this batch is done.

steve

Man I love this stuff. I now have my forth batch in the keg and fifth batch fermenting. I've had this stuuf in a keg full time since I discovered this thread back in July. Awesome!

I am wondering about long term storage. I bottled about three weeks ago and it is time to put some of them in the refrigerator, but can I store the rest at room or basement temperature without any problems?

So you guys have just about talked me into making some of this (as I have an extra 5 gallon carboy lying around somewhere just begging to be filled with fermenting goodness).

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I can just bottle this in gallon jugs after a month in the primary? I have 4 jugs sitting empty that I would love to put this in unprimed. Thoughts?

I read something on another forum about priming with a can or two of apple juice concentrate. Has anyone here tried something like this?

It will work, but why not just stick with a known tried and true? The big question would be "how much?". The difference between a can or two could be undercarbed vs bottle bomb.

dues0009 said:
I read something on another forum about priming with a can or two of apple juice concentrate. Has anyone here tried something like this?

I recall reading something about this also, I think it's somewhere in the pages of this thread.

sirsloop said:
It will work, but why not just stick with a known tried and true? The big question would be "how much?". The difference between a can or two could be undercarbed vs bottle bomb.

I think you could get close to an amount (without making a bottle bomb) by calculating the sugars in the concentrate. I can't do the math right now, but I'm sure someone can look at a can and figure out the amounts based upon the ingredients and nutrition information.

Hey Edwort, just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! I served some up to my local brewer's guild last Friday (the monthly theme was cider, so I had to bring some) and it was very well received!

BTW, I've come to the understanding through a few other brew-related sites that a lot of the hangover-inducing properties of fruit wines can be minimized if you use pectic enzyme; apparently if pectin is present, yeast puts out a small quantity of methanol. Not nearly enough to be dangerous, but enough to make the next morning very, ah, memorable.

So, basically everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Long story short, I made Apfelwein... sorta. Here's the recipe:
5 Gal tree top
2 lbs table sugar
Hefe yeast
5 tsp yeast nutrient

I actually have pretty high hopes for it. I'm thinking the hefe yeast should leave some nice fruity notes behind. I'm not sure if this is close enough to Apfelwein to add 5 gal to the apfelwein production count thread. Anyway, I'll be making another 5 gal of real apfelwein (following the orig recipe) when I get my new carboy in the mail next week. I'm actually kind of afraid of the hefe yeast. I have a makeshift blowoff tube on standby if it starts going nuts.

I'm finally kegging my first batch tonight. It's two months old so I'm hoping it'll be great.

j-bizzle, my guess is you're going to need that blowoff tube :rockin: I used montrachet and the krausen still hit the airlock. I'm interested to know how that will turn out, keep us posted.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Schlenkerla

I used sweet mead yeast- came out excellent

I'll be trying that as soon as the brewery temp is up there for the mead yeast. My basement is 57-60F. A little too cool for making cider w/ mead yeast.

Brewed my first batch of an exact Edworts recipe on 12/6/07 and it is still bubbling madly away up the sides of the carboy, althogh the sulphur smell has dissipated. (Thank God)

I plan on racking it to a corny keg next year some time the middle of January and take a taste and SG reading then. Golden the first 2 days, cloudy and foamy the next week, cloudy and stinky there out and clearing slightly now... no smell save Glenfiddich in the airlock. All is right with the world.

RadicalEd said:
Hey Edwort, just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! I served some up to my local brewer's guild last Friday (the monthly theme was cider, so I had to bring some) and it was very well received!

how would you find one of these?

I'd probably do a google search that included your area and the terms "homebrew" and "club".

Really, that's all it is, a big homebrewer's club, but we have a lot of guys who do it semi-professionally. I know one member started up a meadery, for instance (to compete with all of the other two in the nation :p). We also have 2 BJCP recognized judges, at least one in training, and 2 people on the AHA governing council, iirc.

Here's the website, in case you're curious (I know you're not from Michigan, but I gotta throw it out there): http://aabg.org/

I learned a lot just by going over the monthly newsletters, which each detail the month's style.

Started 5 gallon batch on Dec 1, still see tiny bubbles coming to top of carboy. Figure to bottle it at end of month, if bubbles still rising to top should I wait or is this normal. Also see about an inch of sediment on bottom of carboy, is this normal, looks like the sugar settled to bottom. also how much splenda would you suggest adding before bottling, don't want it too dry. Thanks, Merry Xmas!

Mikeus said:
j-bizzle, my guess is you're going to need that blowoff tube :rockin: I used montrachet and the krausen still hit the airlock. I'm interested to know how that will turn out, keep us posted.
You were 100% right about the hefe yeast :cross: The night I mixed it up, I popped it back open to take an OG because i forgot the first time. After, I drank the sample like I usually do and I swore I could taste a slight bubbliness/carbonation to it. I took that as an omen that I should just go ahead and rig up the blowoff tube. The next morning I woke up to a blowoff tube full of krausen. It's still bubbling today and letting off this wonderful fruity/banana aroma. I hope that stays around for the finished product. I can't wait.

EDIT: Also, I just realized the hefe yeast will make it cloudy. I have some sparkloid clearing agent around that I'm considering using on it once I rack to secondary. Can anyone advise me on this? If I don't, will it taste weird because it was aged with large amounts of yeast floating in it?

Little hint to those that haven't done this yet...First, don't get distracted while pouring in the AJ. Second, done see how far you can push the envelope and fill the thing to about 1.5" from the opening of the carboy and expect to use an airlock.

I of course did both. Took almost 48 hours, but darn thing was so active it filled the airlock so I had to put a blow off on. Can't wait to taste though.

I could be wrong, but it is the wheat in hefes that makes them cloudy, not the yeast. At least, that is the way I remember it.

Now, with my cloudy apple juice, I'm pretty sure that won't settle out. Oh well, it will still taste good! That Simply Apple, (made by the people that do Simply Orange) is about the best tasting apple juice I've tasted. Customers are still asking if I'm getting in any more. (I hope so!)

steve

so I've made a couple of batches now, and always share ideas/recipes etc. with the brewer at the local pub and now he says he wants to make this stuff and put it on tap. Im a little worried about it, but its not my money/job on the line. But he will only let it sit in a fermenter for 30 days, not one day more. And he wants to level the abv down (a la what it would be like without the added corn sugar). Any suggestions/ ideas about filling a 500 gallon tank with this stuff, so i can pass it on.

I started a batch verbatim to Ed's on 12/1/07 and it's still fermenting. I wanted to try this stuff so bad that I pulled a pint of it for a hydrometer test/sample. At three weeks it has a strong sulfur smell to it with a hydro reading of 1.010. I guess I will have to wait for another week before kegging. How long should I let it age in the keg before trying again? I don't want to have it smelling like sulfur when my friends try it.

A few things I've noticed......

My first batch of AW was super sour. I used Kroger brand AJ concentrate. It had calcium lactate in it (didn't inhibit fermentation but contributed a horribly tart flavor). I still have a half dozen 750ml bottles left and they are improving with time.

My second batch was started 12/7/07 with Great Value concentrate, two pounds light brown sugar, and Montrachet. The concentrate had ascorbic acid (vitamin C). I checked my gravity a few days ago and it was at 1.000 and tasted great. Dry not sour. Much improved over my first batch.

A couple of questions which haven't been answered (I know because I read the entire thread...it only took me three weeks)....

Edwort......did you tap that "yeast cake" keg? Just curious how it turned out.

Has anyone ventured into the ApfelBier realm? Here's my thoughts

3gal water
3lbs DME
.5oz Cascade hop pellets
Boil for 1 hour.
Cool
add 5gal worth of AJ concentrate and top up to five gal with preboiled water.
Pitch Nottingham or some other Ale yeast and ferment at room temp.

Whaddya think?

Back