Open ArdBir - definitive BIAB/RIMS controller arduino based

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

long time since my thread start..
just to rember you that in my github repository you can find all details for all official board types

-All In one
-Uno
-Nano

https://github.com/arzaman

enjoy
Davide

yes sorry, i changed the design and added reset output so I removed old gerber but didnt actually put new ones. Will do this when Im back home

lWwaEJz.gif

:D :mug:

It’s a few months that I was no more active on this thread..but this not mean I have stopped my interest in home brewing and automation

In the last year I have invested lot of time,effort and money in a new brewing automation project and I have design and engineered a new smart and advanced product called SmartPID that I'm very happy to introduce to you.

The product is so advanced and feature rich there is nothing comparable on the market..in the same size of basic STC1000 thermostat I have inserted all you need for your brewing process, fermentation control or any other custom application !

But the great step head is that SmartPID is a real product engineering tested, certified with all characteristic for mass production. No more DIY unsupported kit but a long life-cycle platform powerful, flexible, programmable and SMART. Are you ready to do the upgrade? Just remove your simple thermostat or DIY solution and plug a smart process controller.

Facebook.jpg

I leave you to discover all the features and functions and technical characteristic on the official website and FB page and I will open as well an official smartPID thread .

I hope you appreciate the big effort put in the design by an homebrewer for the homebrewing community and you support the project as you did with ArdBir project !

Stay tuned
Davide

Does anybody know why Fahrenheit doesn't work properly on the ardbir? Seems like a glitch, you can set to Fahrenheit but it will only go to the temperature limitations of the Celsius. Like on manual mode it will only go to 105f etc

Does anybody know why Fahrenheit doesn't work properly on the ardbir? Seems like a glitch, you can set to Fahrenheit but it will only go to the temperature limitations of the Celsius. Like on manual mode it will only go to 105f etc

As far as I know, the settings for Celius and Fahrenheit are different, which means changing boiling temperature to 100 Celius won't automatically get 212 degree Fahrenheit as boiling temperature.
My advice for you:
1. change the unit to Fahrenheit.
2.(optional, but recommended) power recycle
3. set the boiling temperature.
4.power recycle

I am no expert of Open Ardbir, and I even don't know what version you use. However, if it doesn't work, I am sure it's a bug.

Hi all. Could anyone here give me some guidelines on PID settings to start with? I will be doing my first run pretty soon but want to set the PID atleased a good starting point. It's a keggle with 5500w and 6 gallon batches

I have not used it yet. The ArdBir manual has some guidelines for the PID. From what i understand you should set two of the constants to 0 and tweek them after by trial an error :-D

The PID parameters have bothered me for a while, too. Therefore, I am trying to use PID AutoTune library by Brett Beauregard:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/PIDAutotuneLibrary

AFAIK, the parameters are related to the speed of increase AND decrease of temperature, which means the perfect parameters, if they exist, would be different for the same system under different weather conditions. You might have to figure out the parameters for your specific system.

How much will it cost? With the setup I have right now it is not plug and play. I did not use contactors or fuses in my panel therefore I would need all that to supply 110v to the lid.
What features besides wifi will it have that ardbir doesn't have? Depending on price I would be interested for fermenting because of the data logging. Thanks

Well I just did my first (wet) dry run with my new ardbir controller and Jeezz I am Impressed this works ssssoooo much better than i thought it would. Thanks to all the guys who developed the software and drew the Gerber files. once sum of my friends see how well this works i shouldn't have any probs getting rid of the other 9 shield boards and its big enough to be easy to use too not them little tiny buttons you find on a stc1000 or commercial pid controller that those of us with fat fingers (mash keypad now(see homer J)) have soo much trouble with
temp control is way better than my old stc1000 (now relegated to fermentation control) ought to make my consistency on brews so much higher.

Thanks Guys:D

happy that you like ardbir...but you should give a chance to SmartPID that is definitely an evolution of that project !

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=591772

Considering you've pulled support for Ardbir, instructions no longer available in the drop box account. I suppose new potential users of Ardbir will have to look else where.

However how long will it be until this new project is also vaporware due to disappearing documentation?

two thing I like about Ardbir over smartpid

1 the size ( there maybe applications like kegerator where you want a small unit but....) makes it so much easier to use no tiny little buttons

2. It's diy, if we weren't into diy we wouldn't be making beer:tank:

I want to build Ardbir NANO from scratch, but at first step I have a major problem cant find anywhere PCB file that I can print and eatch PCB board.
How many diferent designs for Ardbir NANO exist are they simular or there is one that is MUST HAVE , and can you please point me where to find free design and 'how to..' links

found this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7756456&postcount=1 , what about others ?

Is it double sided or one side board? I'm noob when it cimes to Eagle, and cant find printable version of Terragady NANO pcb.
Offtopic.. found your CBPi but online order frosen when I tried to fill my Serbian adress?

I do not understand where you want to fill your address? At github?

terragady.com is not my website and I have nothing to do with it, the guy is just selling my design and I have completely no profit from it - sad.

ArdBir board is double sided, and there should be gerber files for it.

I do not understand where you want to fill your address? At github?

terragady.com is not my website and I have nothing to do with it, the guy is just selling my design and I have completely no profit from it - sad.

ArdBir board is double sided, and there should be gerber files for it.
Hi terragady,
there is no Gerber files about ArdBir at github.

Hello, i have a problem with my ardbir. When i connect the bs18b20 sensor to the board the temperature displayed is 87 °C and is not decreasing or increasing. Also, the heater control for the SSR isn't working, but as soon as the sensor is removed the heater control is working. What is the problem? Can be the sensor's fault? I don't have another to test, i need to order some.

Need help!! I am trying etch Daniel Xan PCB at home.. but i am not sure how to print it in actual size.. Can someone help me with the pdf to print it directly..

Need help!! I am trying etch Daniel Xan PCB at home.. but i am not sure how to print it in actual size.. Can someone help me with the pdf to print it directly..
On the print page you should just click scale 100%

I tried my hands on etching a PCB results were not encouraging so had to fall back on professionals.. Do a local guy who will get the job done for $30 for 25 PCB board with masking.

Now question: what type of material should be used for PCB for this project... How does it impact?

Metal, FR-4 or PTFE (Teflon).. If other?

Finally was able to create controller and with very first attempt...

Now will work on fabricating the system.

Cheers!!!
Screenshot_20181118-044716_Video%20Player.jpeg
Screenshot_20181118-044811_Video%20Player.jpeg
Screenshot_20181118-045006_Video%20Player.jpeg

Few queries:

1) I am planning to install 2000w heating element for my 5gallon (20L) system would that be enough? I feel with start water temp in India around 30°C this should hit 100°C in 30 mins..

2) How many amp of SSR should i use for the heating element... 15amps?

3) What should be the Amps of 12v DC power supply?

Anyone familiar with GTO Ardbir boards? Do I have to used on-board relay switch? I hear onboard relay click, but it doesn't activate pump SSR.

Last edited:
Back